FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is a DVDSP Master good enough for Replication?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morgan Howard
Is a DVDSP Master good enough for Replication?
on Mar 25, 2007 at 5:24:12 am

My current work flow is to encode using compressor from FCP. Author in DVDSP and burn with Toast. I get good DVDs.

However, I now have a job where the client wants 18,000 DVDs, so they're going to a Replication facility. I've been unable to ask the facility any questions. Do Replication facilities take a DVD-R as a Master?

More importantly, is my DVD-R master good enough?

Am I better off just going to a post house and using Scenarist to author, encode and burn? Will this create the best master - and then transfer to Replication facility via DLT?

How much better will the high-end (scenarist) be? If it's only 2 percent better, I wont' do it. If it's 10 percent high picture/transition quality - then I'll (the client) pay the money.

What's the percentage of defective DVDs on a run of 18,000 DVDs?

Will the replication facility be able to tell me whether or not I have a good quality master DVD-R?

Thanks in advance.

M. Howard

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Is a DVDSP Master good enough for Replication?
on Mar 25, 2007 at 4:55:47 pm

It's fine as a master- unless the client wants copy protection. That requires a DLT master- also easily done you just need the DLT drive.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
on Mar 25, 2007 at 7:19:09 pm

Hi Morgan,

Couldn't find your email. On a job like that, it would be good for us to talk.

Only DLT should be used for Image submissions on jobs for paying clients, for instance; and there's a gaggle of potential gotcha's with the workflow you describe - DVD SP project authoring/settings among them.

I'm at "trai (at) comcast.net" , if you'd like to consider some needed preflighting (I'm assuming this is an important client).

Otherwise, with all respect (really), it would be best to get this project to a house with experience going to replication, and even with a Scenarist system (though, I should stll check their output for you).

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
http://www.DVDVerification.com

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Mar 26, 2007 at 1:23:50 pm

[Morgan Howard] "I've been unable to ask the facility any questions."
They won't answer or you're too busy? If they won't talk, find another replicator.

[Morgan Howard] "Do Replication facilities take a DVD-R as a Master?"
Most do and, while it's not "the best" way, it does work as long as you don't need copy protection.

[Morgan Howard] "Am I better off..."
In all probability the encode will look better via one of the Sonic encoder cards compared to what compressor produces. Will it be 10% better? Hard to say - no impossible to say without seeing what is being encoded. Probably not.

Will Scenarist produce a better disc than DVDSP? Maybe, maybe not - there are too many esoteric variables to provide a meaningful answer. In general, Scenarist creates a less complicated structure that is potentially less problematic. This is because DVDSP adds a layer of abstraction to the authoring process that Scenarist does not. On a straightforward title this difference won't amount to a hill of beans - usually.

[Morgan Howard] "What's the percentage of defective DVDs on a run of 18,000 DVDs?"
An excellent question and I don't have a definitive answer. In theory, given that the glass master was produced perfectly, that the stamper is also perfect and that the replication machine is functioning within spec the failure rate should be a tiny fraction of one-percent or less. (The odds that any given End User

Return to posts index

Dither2k
on Mar 27, 2007 at 11:45:15 pm

Hi Morgan

Please make sure that you request a DVD check disc from the replicator. It is the "actual" production master coming off of the replication machine. If the copy looks good then the rest of the 18,000 DVD should look the same.

A replicator will not command on the quality of your video, audio, menu...etc. They will run through their pre-mastering machine to check if there is any un-readable sector, or if the layout of the video folder is meeting DVD video standard. Some of them will be a bit to bit compare for you, if they have in terms of data wise (1s and 0s) on the stamper is a match with your DVD-R, then you will be in good hand.

Replicator usually run 10% more on the job, so they can cover the defective DVD. If they are in for good business they should not release the bad discs to customer.

Swire Ho
Hellman Production
http://www.hellmanproduction.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]