FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sonic Scenarist vs. DVD SP subtitle quality

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pontepreta
Sonic Scenarist vs. DVD SP subtitle quality
on Mar 19, 2007 at 2:21:14 am

Has any one had an opportunity to compare subtitling from both environments? I am wondering if there is, in fact, a substantial quality difference between the two. I have compared DVD Studio Pro and Belle Nuit and seen some subtle differences (each has an advantage in different areas). They don't seem all that inferior, if at all, to the majority of commercial releases I have seen. A client is convinced that Sonic is better, however, and I would be interested in hearing any opinions.
Thanks,
PP

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Sonic Scenarist vs. DVD SP subtitle quality
by
on Mar 19, 2007 at 2:41:48 pm

subtitles are subtitles. You can adjustments in both platforms. No difference that I have ever noticed.

Return to posts index

pontepreta
on Mar 19, 2007 at 5:10:39 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. I have been hard pressed to find anything that even appeared to be superior. When one is used to the quality of text generated on an uncompressed FCP project, DVD subtitle streams are inevitably disappointing...

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Mar 21, 2007 at 8:20:01 am

Bad quality has to do that you only have 4 colors.
One transparant,
One white title
One black outline

And here comes the only trick you can do: have the last color to be grey to have at least some anti-aliasing between the outline and the title.

If you have white only titles, it get's better as you have two levels of anti aliasing to blend the title into the video. (but of course you only can leave out the border if you have lot's of dark scenes)

Chris Linke has a nice plugin to do both. A link is on my site under the 'links' button.

If you have room to spare, do a second encode with open captions (rendered HQ titles in the video)

Bouke

http://www.videoToolShed.com
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]