FORUMS: list search recent posts

Persistant DVD Playback Issue - Big Mystery!!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JamminCVC
Persistant DVD Playback Issue - Big Mystery!!
on Mar 7, 2007 at 4:46:38 am

I have made several videos for several clients. My largest client is a church, of which purchases Copies of videos for every member. Videos produced include videos of dramas and photo montage videos, etc. One member of the church seems to have a problems playing "some" of the DVD's. out of the 6 videos they have from me, 4 of them will not play at all- not reading disc. I have reburned, used different brands of media, different burner programs, including finally DVDA3. There seems to be no difference in the ones that work and those that don't. I just made a DVD recently that works fine, so rerendered and reburned a prior one that didn't work the same way as the one that did work, and the old one still doesn't work. I always test them prior on my DVD at home, and they always play fine here. I cannot find a connection or problem and need help!! wasted lots of money trying to find problem and fix it. The same video that doesn't work in their player plays fine in dozens of others with no issue. they have no issue playing other DVD's, both commercial and mine.

Any help would be appreciated, Any more info needed will be gladly given.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Persistant DVD Playback Issue - Big Mystery!!
on Mar 7, 2007 at 7:46:49 am

You've not really given us very much technical information to go on, so, I'll have to guess based on past experience. I would guess that you've pushed the bitrate up in an attempt to reach that magical "best quality" thing we've heard so many times on this forum over the years. Try encoding at a max bitrate of 6000 and see if that does it for you. Also, are you encoding your audio as AC3? If not, that's even a bigger problem.

Let me know if that helps you...

DRW

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 7, 2007 at 7:30:32 pm

If your total bitrate (audio+video+subpicture streams) on DVD-R gets up into the 7.5-10Mb range, some players will have trouble with the disc depending on a lot of factors.

Always stick to high quality DVD-R stock. The crappy stuff gives you bad burns or compatibility issues.

If just one person is having trouble playing DVD-R discs, either the player has compatibility issues or a weak laser diode. Laser diodes can go bad in as little as 6 months. If a DVD player can play replicated DVDs fine but has trouble with DVD-R discs, the laser diode most likely is marginal.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

JamminCVC
on Mar 9, 2007 at 2:52:39 am

To respond to this post i will compare 2 different movies that I made for them: One works, one doesn't.
Both movies were burned on the same media: FujiFilm
For comparison sake, both movies were also burned on HP and Sony.
Both movies were burned with Sony DVD A3 with a menu screen on startup.
Both movies have the same bitrate: 8.4 mb
Both were rendered to computer before burn with Sony Mainconcept mpeg encoder
On another occasion, bad movie was also rendered in another mpeg not MainConcept.
In every instance, bad movie doesn't play, no matter what method is done.
Reminder: 3 of 7 movies work fine, 4 don't no matter what i've done so far (including multiple reburn, multiple re-renders, on multiple burn programs and NLE's, several times each way, all on DVD-R.
As far as i can tell, there is no difference between the movies that works and those that don't. I need some real expert advise on what to look for to fix this problem. If you need to, ask me questions to qualify problem more.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 9, 2007 at 7:48:16 am

If you want help, stick with the program and answer the questions. You never responded to the question in my earlier post regarding AC3 audio? Did you encode the audio to AC3 or not? If not, and you left the audio in PCM format, then your DVD will exceed the max bandwidth of many set top players because you encoded the MPEG2 at a bitrate that is is way too high. Its as simple as that.

DRW

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 9, 2007 at 12:50:59 pm

Are you burning any "Extra Content" Folders with your project?

Try downloading the latest version of IMGBURN 2.x to build/burn the DVD Folders to disc.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 9, 2007 at 9:34:15 pm

George, don't confuse the issue. Its simple, this guy is, like lots of others, under the impression that boosting the bitrate to its maximum makes things better, when in fact its only causing him grief. You're only introducing additional variables now that are serving to only to confuse a guy who already confused.

DRW

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 9, 2007 at 10:49:43 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "George, don't confuse the issue. Its simple, this guy is, like lots of others, under the impression that boosting the bitrate to its maximum makes things better, when in fact its only causing him grief. You're only introducing additional variables now that are serving to only to confuse a guy who already confused.

DRW"

Sorry DRW if you think I am "confusing" the issue. I asked that question because I am wondering if the OP is burning an "Extras folder" (using the DVDA3 option to add an "Extras folder" in the project properties -- which has been known to cause problems for users if they don't burn to disc properly when including an "Extras" folder).

But I guess it was foolish of me to even attempt to ask for clarification on something I had a question about...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

km7777
on Apr 15, 2007 at 12:53:41 pm

i would think he needs to lower his bitrate for video.. Almost always the issue when you cannot control the quality of the playback hardware. 7mbts variable works quite well in most players.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]