FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting the dang movie to fit on a standard TV - impossible?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
groucho
getting the dang movie to fit on a standard TV - impossible?
on Mar 3, 2007 at 9:15:14 pm

Hi folks -

I've been browsing video forums all day and I still can't solve this seemingly simple problem.

I have some videos that I shot with a digital camera and edited in Windows Movie Maker. I'm using Sony DVD Architect to author the DVD.

Now, DVD Architect has these "safe areas" that tell you whether the image is "TV safe" or not - but there's no way to simply shrink the movie to fit inside those areas.

If I use Movie Maker to make a smaller video - no dice. DVD architect simply sizes it up to 720x480, I lose a lot of resolution and I STILL have a bunch of video outside the "safe area" - which is, incidentally, only an *estimated* safe area, according to the Sony forums.

What am I missing here? Is this simply not possible given the tools I have?

thanks very much for any help anyone can give,
Chris

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: getting the dang movie to fit on a standard TV - impossible?
on Mar 3, 2007 at 9:40:09 pm

Why would you want to shrink the movie below the safe areas? Title safe and action safe are there so that your footage will look correct on all tv's. If you override that and reduce your frame to fit within those areas you'll wind up with black bars of varying sizes on each different monitor you play on it. Here's some info on what these zones are for:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flash_to_video_03.html

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

groucho
on Mar 4, 2007 at 1:55:38 am

"Why would you want to shrink the movie below the safe areas?"

Because I want the entire video to be visable on a standard TV.

Maybe I'm not being clear here, and if so I apologize, but I'm trying to figure out how to have the WHOLE video come through on a TV. But as it stands, because I can't figure out how to keep the whole movie inside the safe area, all of the movie that falls outside the "safe" area is being chopped off. That's a considerable amount. I'm not sure why anyone would NOT want to shrink the movie below the safe area. Why would anyone want to lose 10% of their movie when they watch it on a TV?

"If you override that and reduce your frame to fit within those areas you'll wind up with black bars of varying sizes on each different monitor you play on it. "

That's FINE. In fact it would be great if someone could tell me how to do that! I have NO interest in how it looks on a computer monitor. I just want the whole dang thing on a standard TV. If the only way to do that is some kind of "letterboxing", I'll be kinda suprised (I would have thought this was a fairly easy thing to accomplish), but it'll STILL be better than losing 10%.

thanks!
Chris

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 4, 2007 at 7:02:12 pm

Which version of DVD Architect are you using (Full or Studio)?

The FULL version will come with Vegas. You can apply track motion to your entire video to scale the video down (to have black borders around it). Then render to DVD Architect template and use that in your DVDA Project.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

groucho
on Mar 4, 2007 at 7:05:35 pm

Thanks George:

Yep, I just figured that out last night.:) My NEW problem though is that applying any track motion or cropping adjustments in Vegas introduces these horrific digital "glitches" - mainly in parts that have any effects, like slo-mo or fades or anything.

So at this point is seems I'm choosing between an incomplete picture or a complete picture with weird digital break-ups at certain parts. Any thoughts?

This is way harder than I thought.:)

thanks a bunch,
Chris

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 4, 2007 at 7:11:35 pm

Are you seeing the "glitches" during playback on your computer, or on an actual DVD playing back on your TV?

If during playback in a standalone DVD Player, it could be the bitrate you are using to encode -- try CBR at about 6,000,000bps to see if that helps any. Render out a small ~5-10 minute "problem" section and burn that to RW disc to see if it makes a difference...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

groucho
on Mar 4, 2007 at 7:17:09 pm

I see the glitches very slightly on the computer monitor, but they're nowhere near as bad there as they end up being once I've burned the DVD.

I'll try using a constant bitrate instead. I was wondering about that.

thanks!
Chris

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 23, 2007 at 7:51:52 pm

newer tv's don't cut off as much as older models. The safe action is there so you do not have essential information outside the normal viewing area. This especially goes for framing your shots in camera, and adding supers. If you have essential information within the outside 10% of the screen area maybe that is a problem, but the border of the image is generally not the most important area of your image/s.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]