FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blue Ray on MacPro

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ziongm
Blue Ray on MacPro
on Feb 27, 2007 at 8:43:42 pm

I will be starting a job here that will need to be output to either HD DVD or Blue Ray. Im using a intel based MacPro, and was curious if anyone knew of a hddvd or blueray burner that would work well with that machine. Any help/tips would be a great help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Blue Ray on MacPro
by
on Feb 27, 2007 at 10:07:54 pm

There are no Mac authoring programs which support HD DVD or Blu Ray drives at this point

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Mar 1, 2007 at 12:21:17 pm

Actually there are, one of the best value is Toast from Roxio:
http://www.roxio.com/eng/products/toast/titanium/overview.html

As for a burner, it's still early days and prices are still quite high but you could look at:
http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

Logitec also do one.

It's a London thing.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Mar 1, 2007 at 3:52:17 pm

Danny2007,

I think the devil is in the details. "Supporting" Blu-ray disc burning, and actually offering true HD Blu-Ray authoring with menus and the like can be two different things. It's not clear to me that one can actually do more than simply dump HD video on a Blu-Ray disc. It's even more unclear as to how that would actually play back except on the same computer, and whether or not the disc would actually play on a Blu-Ray set top player--and if it does, is it anything more than simple playback of the video stream, or are there any menu interfaces. True dvd authoring for Blu-Ray discs is very limited on both the PC and Mac sides. The Blu-Ray burners are expensive and limited in terms of choices' for either side, but especially for the Mac. On top of that, it's very likely that these burners will not allow playback of Hollywood Blu-Ray discs--just your own content.

Right now all of the HD formats and authoring options for 'the masses' is in evolution. It's in evolution even for the 'big boys'. If you are or have been a distribution house for major Hollywood titles with standard definition content, then it makes sense to be on the cutting edge to try and invest in the costly HD encoders and authoring apps to be a part of the transition. For the rest of us, it's very hard to predict what or even if these formats will have a big impact on our HD content distrituition. There is a chance that optical delivery won't be the medium or method to accomplish the task.

The comforting thing for me right now is that there really are no cost friendly alternatives to choose from, I don't have to worry about the fact I haven't jumped on one bandwagon or the other.

Jim

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 1, 2007 at 4:17:03 pm

On the PC side -- Corel just announced DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus - that gives you the ability to Author "Basic" HD-DVD (mpeg2, and simple menus). It also allows you to burn to HD-DVD Folders, or create an ISO Image. And you can then burn that to regular DVD-5/9 discs.

The package also has the ability to burn direct-to-Blu-ray from a video source -- but I'm not sure what type of menu-options that gives you (similar to what WTS mentioned).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Mar 1, 2007 at 4:17:14 pm

Thanks Jim,

All your points are totally valid and I agree with all of them but ziongms post asks "......that will need to be output to either HD DVD or Blue Ray. Im using a intel based MacPro, and was curious if anyone knew of a hddvd or blueray burner that would work well with that machine. Any help/tips would be a great help. Thanks! "

eric respond to that post with the blunt reply that "There are no Mac authoring programs which support HD DVD or Blu Ray drives at this point"

Now I know that Toast is not an authoring application in the same way as DVDSP is, but I was simply helping the guy out by stating that there is support for the Mac in terms of both hardware and software if he just wants to "output to Blue Ray" This, in my opinion, is far more helpful than the post from eric and although your response is educational it doesn't answer ziongms post, but simply tells him that the state of play is still 'up in the air' right now.

Would you not agree?

Thanks

Danny

It's a London thing.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 1, 2007 at 5:56:10 pm

Since this is an authoring forum, I was naturally assuming he was talking of authoring a HD DVD and/or BD Disc. Toast does support Blu Ray burners, but this is to burn data only. I have to thank Apple for leading people the wrong way - they've given the impression that anyone with some HD footage and an Apple can create they're own HD titles which is simply not true.

Return to posts index

danny2007
on Mar 1, 2007 at 8:18:09 pm

eric,

Can you point me to the page or article or infact anything that Apple has published which gives (you) this wrong impression?

Danny

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 1, 2007 at 8:42:00 pm

It's printed on the box :

"The latest upgrade (4.0) introduces the next-generation of DVD delivery with HD DVD support for both H.264 and HDV..."

Considering that most people who purchase Final Cut Studio 5.1 are not professional DVD authors many folks would (and have) thought that DVDSP 4 will author a spec compliant HD DVD title - but this is not the case.

Return to posts index

danny2007
on Mar 1, 2007 at 11:16:58 pm

eric,

Agreed, what you quote maybe slightly misleading but a visit to the Apple site (something that anybody would do before forking out for such an expensive package) and you'll see:

"With DVD Studio Pro 4, you can harness the power of H.264

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 2, 2007 at 1:54:28 am

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I just hate to see misinformation strewn about public forums. "Misleading" is "misleading" - anyway you look at it and it's obvious in the amount of times the original poster's question has been asked on this and other forums that people have indeed been mislead.

"With DVD Studio Pro 4, you can harness the power of H.264

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 2, 2007 at 1:59:56 am

Sorry...the first link is dead.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3737489�

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 2, 2007 at 2:03:26 am

I curse the cow - where's the edit function?!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3737489

Return to posts index

leanne davis
on Dec 12, 2007 at 6:24:15 pm

Could either of you guys put aside the nitpicky arguments and simply answer the question- How can someone using a mac author (with or without menus) a Blu-Ray Disc that will play HD Video on a Blu-Ray player? And what drives, players, and software would it take to accomplish the feat- reguardless of the price tag or extra opinions about Blu-Ray or Mac? Is this possible?

This issue is giving me a headache, and I despitely need to come up with some specific answers because I need to accomplish this task in one months time.

Thank you!

-Leanne.

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Jan 10, 2008 at 2:19:28 am

We already did in the first 3 posts

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 2, 2007 at 2:15:56 am

LOL....This is hilarious...check out the new update which was listed a couple minutes ago:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/dvdstudiopro412.html

Some testing to be done..

Eric

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Mar 6, 2007 at 3:37:34 pm

I have done a couple of red laser discs with the new update. I only used mpeg2, but menus and stories, sub menus with chapter index/transitions/etc all work on the Toshiba. I have yet to do an H264 project, but I've heard (and again not tested myself) that it now works.

Maybe some good steps in the right direction? Hopefully the new HD-DVD burners will be out in the not so distant future that we can really test it out.

Jim

Return to posts index

ziongm
on Mar 6, 2007 at 5:12:17 pm

Thank you all for the insite you have given. It looks as if this project has hit us about 2 months too early. To clarify the needs of the project....I do not need menus, titles, or any of the bells and whistles DVDSP supports. (except maybe auto start and looping cababilites ) I just need my hd footage to be able to play in a blue ray disc player, not a computer.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Mar 6, 2007 at 5:18:42 pm

ziongm,

If you just need a straightforward, basically play only disc, then something like Toast might work. The question mark for me is whether or not these discs (the Blu-Ray recordables) will play on a Blu-Ray set top player, or just the Blu-Ray players/burners that are connected to your computer. I don't have any experience in this regards, but I know of some on the PC side of things that have burned a few Blu-Ray coasters in their attempts to get it to work (and these discs aren't cheap). DVDSP does not support Blu-Ray authoring at all, so it is not an option. I'd try the Toast forums on Roxio and see if anyone there has had success with playback on set top players.

Jim

Return to posts index

ziongm
on Mar 9, 2007 at 3:07:53 pm

Funny thing just happened.... I imported an FCP 8bit uncompressed QT into DVDSP and made a HD DVD, it plays in HD rez on the mac pro we made the disc on, and also, a xbox 360 with the optional HDDVD player. I couldnt believe it. The compression looks great, audio sounds good. Even crazier I burned it right onto a regular 4.7gig blank dvd.

My only concern is that the auto loop option I put in is'nt working. Just thought you all might want to know this little bit of info.

It has been a bit of a running gag in the office here that if our dvd's we author work on a old xbox then it should run in our clients dvd players...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]