FORUMS: list search recent posts

Watermarking

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cmerillo
Watermarking
on Feb 23, 2007 at 10:35:48 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to embed a watermark into DVD video and have it appear if the video is copied from the DVD? I have a client who is concerned about piracy. We are creating an educational DVD and eventhough there will be plenty of copyright protection, he is concerned that certain images or segments will be lifted and used by other instructors, without credit. He's said it's happened to him in the past with images and slides used in presentations so he is concerned about it in the video world.

So he is asking if there is a way to embed a watermark into the video and only have it appear if the video was somehow pirated off the DVD. I don't know much about this. The closest I've come to anything like this was one time I had to embed closed captioning into a .wmv file and have the option to turn it on or off. That time I had to work with a programmer that created a plug in for my encoding software to accomplish that. Is there any similar kind of watermark technology (for DVD video)?

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Watermarking
by
on Feb 23, 2007 at 11:44:37 pm

No way to have it appear ONLY if it is copied from a DVD. You would have to water mark the video itself but this might appear odd with a big water mark throughout - and even this could be easily removed with the know how. DVD copy protection is easily defeated these days - I understand your client's concerns but in this day and age there just no way to get around it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 25, 2007 at 6:46:25 pm

Unfortunately the client should understand that to a determined pirate there is *nothing* you can do to prevent theft of DVD material. It's an inherently insecure medium(kind of like Miss Cleo).

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

cmerillo
on Feb 26, 2007 at 12:23:56 am

Yeah, that's what I figured. But I figured I owed it to him to at least ask about it. Thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]