FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD that works for 16:9 and 4:3

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MadSkillzMan
DVD that works for 16:9 and 4:3
on Feb 16, 2007 at 6:19:11 am

Hi guys

ive been asked to help edit/author a project, and yay me its in widescreen. First time ive ever worked with it.

It was shot with the squeezed 16:9 mode on a camera. Looks great on a plasma flatscreen. Color looks terrible on the cinema display, but i assume this is normal?

They requested the final product be veiwable to fill the full width of the widescreen tv, no black bars.

BUT, they ask that it be veiwable on a 4:3 tv WITH black bars

Now is this something i take care of on the DVDStudio end, or something that widescreen TV's handle?

Or do i have to make 2 video tracks?

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD that works for 16:9 and 4:3
on Feb 16, 2007 at 4:14:34 pm

Set for 16:9 Letterbox in DVDSP and it will fill screen on 16:9 and letterbox automatically on 4:3 TV's.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

MadSKillzMan
on Feb 16, 2007 at 6:23:10 pm

wow..that seems pretty simple, thanks a ton!

Return to posts index

drumrob
on Feb 16, 2007 at 7:28:47 pm

But note that this will only work if the DVD player used to play it back has been set up properly. I've had to help numerous friends and clients set their DVD players correctly. Each DVD player has a "set up" menu. In that menu there will be a choice as to what kind of TV you have. Also whether you want 16x9 video to letterbox or not. Especially with all the widescreen TVs being sold now, I've seen a TON of people watching regular TV all stretched out to fill their widescreen, yet their DVD players are still set to 4x3 so the DVDs they watch don't work properly either.

Long winded, sorry. Noah is absolutely right about how YOU set up the DVD. You just gotta hope whoever watches it sets up their system right to view it.

Have fun!

Rob

Return to posts index

MadSkillzMan
on Feb 16, 2007 at 9:16:37 pm

Ok, im more worried about how IM going to set this up, rather the end user, as is the guy asking for assistance. I wasnt sure if it was in the DVD/TV setup or not, but now that i know, that puts me at ease.

thanks again guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]