FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD that works for 16:9 and 4:3

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MadSkillzMan
DVD that works for 16:9 and 4:3
on Feb 16, 2007 at 6:19:03 am

Hi guys

ive been asked to help edit/author a project, and yay me its in widescreen. First time ive ever worked with it.

It was shot with the squeezed 16:9 mode on a camera. Looks great on a plasma flatscreen. Color looks terrible on the cinema display, but i assume this is normal?

They requested the final product be veiwable to fill the full width of the widescreen tv, no black bars.

BUT, they ask that it be veiwable on a 4:3 tv WITH black bars

Now is this something i take care of on the DVDStudio end, or something that widescreen TV's handle?

Or do i have to make 2 video tracks?

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: DVD that works for 16:9 and 4:3
on Apr 12, 2007 at 6:10:57 pm

You can surely do a 16:9 and a 4:3 version - dual layer medium if necessary.

Sounds like the source material is 4:3 Fullscreen (PAR 0.9 - Letterboxed 16:9, not Anamorphic 16:9). It's 'simulated' widescreen.

They are looking for a true Widescreen presentation that plays just like the the Widescreen DVD's they have at home. This project would need to be re-shot in true 16:9 to achieve Letterboxed 16:9 on a 4:3 display, AND true Anamorphic 16:9 on a 16:9 display.
This issue should have been covered during principal photography, not in post production. You are being asked to go above-and-beyond.

You need to, either..
-Modify the IFO file to achieve your display requirements. (Might not work)
-Re-shoot in true 16:9. (Will work, best quality, time consuming, highest cost)
-Remaster your source material as true 16:9. (Will work, compromised quality, time consuming)

REMASTER
Upscale the video and set the PAR to 1.2 (PAR 0.9 is for Fullscreen, PAR 1.2 is for Widescreen) to remaster the material as 16:9. You'll actually crop the existing image to remove the letterbox and stretch the image to fill the anamorphic frame. This is not ideal and will make your image quality worse!
I've used Resizer2 to upscale and reformat 4:3 video to 16:9 in AfteEffects, it's really nice. I think there is a version for Premiere Pro 2, and perhaps others editing apps.
But, I was using a lot of film-damage on my project which can hide the poor qualities of upscaled video.

IFOEdit
You may need to manually edit your IFO file (I use IFOEdit).
With this, you can set a 16:9 program to display as 'Letterboxed' - This plays full screen on a widescreen display, and Letterboxed in a fullscreen display. TYPICAL.
OR set the the 16:9 program to 'Letterboxed with Pan & Scan' - which will change the display of 16:9 material on a 4:3 monitor to fill the screen and crop the sides. NOT TYPICAL.
This is sometimes used when you have a 16:9 DVD menu that you want to display as fullscreen/cropped-width on a 4:3 display.
Tinkering with the IFO file could result in a noncompliant disc.
I don't think IFOEdit will help here, but it's an option.

Sorry for the confusing info. I've dealt with this request also.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]