FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sonic CineVision.... What's the word on the street?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Munkittrick
Sonic CineVision.... What's the word on the street?
on Feb 15, 2007 at 3:32:36 pm

Hi folks,
I'm in the closing stages of a professional training DVD project and a client asked me about HD/Blu-Ray DVD delivery. Our material was all created at HD spec for HD playback, however that was for long term compatibility and longevity. They mentioned HD-DVD at the initial client meeting, but thus far we've not solidified the desire to deliver on HD-DVD just yet due to the overwhelming saturation and immediate availability of standard definition DVD players. I've heard a few names that are presently supporting both HD and Blu-Ray DVD encoding, but I've only seen a few that look refined enough for a klutz like me to use. Here's what I need to know:

1. What's the general discussion regarding the Sonic CineVision encoding software package?

2. Would I have to shell out the cash for Scenarist as well or would these encoded files be at home in another software package? I've used Scenarist a time or two off-site, but we'll most likely be using DVD Studio Pro -or- Adobe Encore for our authoring and organization. I'd assume that the standard would make the files transparent to the authoring tool, but I'd hate to make that guess and be wrong.

Thanks so much for your time.

Here's a link to the software in question.
http://www.sonic.com/products/Professional/CineVision/quicklook.aspx

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Sonic CineVision.... What's the word on the street?
by
on Feb 15, 2007 at 5:35:27 pm

Hi Micheal

The word on the streat (at least people I've taked to) says it sucks and goes in the trash. I've only seen demos so I can't say yes or no on that. Microsoft has a encoder they are giving away for free only to people who are capable of muxing a HD DVD (with Scenarist). In fact, I'll be at a workshop at THX in Burbank on tuesday for this new encoder

http://www.thxbpl.org/default.aspx

I believe you can buy it seperatly but it's around $18,000 or some God awful number :) Also remember DVDSP to Encore (or any other pro-sumer app) is nowhere near close in supporting the new HD specs - regardless of what they claim. Almost all the titles you see on the shelves were authored in priority software not available to the public - not scenarist. So you can see were a long ways off in making HD DVD or BD authoring something thats here to stay - at least for the small companies and authors out there.

Also check out Micosofts site on HD DVD. It has a start up package to get you going on HDi code writing and some other useful tools - even a forum.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/hddvd/default.aspx

Good Luck :)

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on Feb 17, 2007 at 12:58:43 am

$18,000 is not what the rep quoted...by a long shot, but I don't doubt that the cost is much higher than that of DVDSP or Encore. Truthfully, I read in a periodical this month that Aobe is looking to incorporate some level of HD DVD into Encore by the next release, but Adobe's website is zipped tighter than a nuns habit.

Anyway, thanks for the insight and I'll look around a bit more.

Thanks...

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Feb 17, 2007 at 3:40:36 pm

Could you be more precise in what he quoted you? Just curious :) At NAB CineVision was $18,000 while each encoding platform (HD DVD & BD) were $40,000 each - talk about a shock to your wallet :) No way any of Sonic's professional products would be competing price wise (or any other way for that matter) with DVDSP or Encore.

Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on Feb 19, 2007 at 6:50:02 pm

[eric] "ould you be more precise in what he quoted you?"

Sure, but aparently the options and "service agreement" modify the dollar amount pretty substantially. These guys (http://www.filmwareproducts.com) gave us a quote for the CineVision encoder with the SD-1000 at just under $25,000....which is FAR MORE than I was quoted in an earlier email. I guess that they forgot a zero somewhere along the way, huh?

My reasoning tells me that Encore will be the best option for us in the long-term outlook, but DVDSP is well positioned and pretty well versed as well. I guess I'll just keep my sights on the goal and find something that does what we need in the desktop software arena.

Thanks...

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Feb 19, 2007 at 11:28:53 pm

At this point I would have it done by a 3rd party bureau.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]