FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are the measurements to stay in the title safe area for TV screen?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Robbins
What are the measurements to stay in the title safe area for TV screen?
on Feb 7, 2007 at 7:17:22 pm

A client sent me 9 pages of jpegs to use in dvdStudioPro menu project. They created the pages in InDesign.

When I imported them into dvdSP the logo image in one corner extends passed the title safe area and other text is also out of the title safe area so it is not completely visible on a TV screen. They have several pages with text written that is too small or the incorrect font to be easily viewed on a TV screen as well.

The client wants to know the pixel measurements required to stay with in the text safe area and a good font and size to use for the readable text.

If they could send me a psd file I would re-do it Photoshop but they say that InDesign doesn't export as a a psd so they have to send me jpeg files.

All help appreciated,

jerome

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: What are the measurements to stay in the title safe area for TV screen?
on Feb 8, 2007 at 11:16:03 am

NTSC title safe crop amounts:

720x480 = left/right 72 pixels, top/bottom 24 pixels
720x486 = left/right 72 pixels, top/bottom 26 pixels

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: What are the measurements to stay in the title safe area for TV screen?
on Feb 8, 2007 at 1:14:06 pm

A commonly used value is 10% of the screen dimension. So a 720x480 pixel screen would use a margin of 72 pixels on each side and 48 pixels on the top/bottom. A common "safe action" area uses 5% of the dimension. I often split the difference as most modern TVs do not overscan as much as the older sets did. New flat panel or HD displays often have little or no overscan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]