FORUMS: list search recent posts

pls would you advise on best way to burn playable DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
madamblahblah
pls would you advise on best way to burn playable DVD
on Feb 3, 2007 at 6:23:25 pm

Hello!
I have my animation on a playable dvd master and want to make a way of making copies with best quality and reliability possible but am scared to keep reading off my master in case it ruins my disk.

Pulled video and audio TS folders on to my desktop and made a playable DVD by burning those on to a disk. it works on my set top DVD player and pc. Am concerned as the space the data took up on the disk was less than the master. Would you recommend this as a good way of copying discs?

Or is it more reliable to make a direct copy? It would be good to know if i have a reliable way of making more copies when and as needed without having to keep reading off my master.

If you burn a direct copy from a copy will it be as good quality as the master?

Also tried to burn an image file onto my HD and then burned that on to a disc but the disc drive refuses to see the disc.

thank you!
:S

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: pls would you advise on best way to burn playable DVD
on Feb 3, 2007 at 8:40:07 pm

[madamblahblah] "Am concerned as the space the data took up on the disk was less than the master. Would you recommend this as a good way of copying discs?"

How much was the "difference" in size? What software are you using to burn the DVD, and what "mode" are you using when burning (modes such as "Data DVD", "DVD-VIDEO", other...)? You should use DVD-VIDEO mode (or equivalent setting in your burning software).

What Authoring software are you using? Some will allow you to create an ISO image file, that you can just burn whenever you want when additional copies are needed.

On the PC, I use IMGBURN 2.x to burn from DVD Folders (or to create an IMAGE file).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

madamblahblah
on Feb 3, 2007 at 11:33:26 pm

I've been reading on DVD compatibility and there seem to be thousands of variables, so this is probably only one of many things to consider..
Basically, i've tested it myself on my set up and my pc and it's fine all the way to the end. but cos the data size is only half that on the master, i wonder if it's ok.

Here is the information you needed..

By "difference" in size i mean on the disc the data took up more space on the master than the one burned from the folders which seemed to be half as much. I watched the film on the set up player and on pc and on both it runs all the way to the end.

To burn the DVD, i'm using:
Sonic Record Now for these as it allows "make another" function.

Had some problems with Sonic Record Now e.g. it wouldn't burnt from DVD it pro. so got Ulead Burn Now installed and have been using that to make direct copies. However, it won't do "make another".

What mode are you using when burning (modes such as "Data DVD", "DVD-VIDEO", other...)? You should use DVD-VIDEO mode (or equivalent setting in your burning software)."
In sonic record now, if you choose video disk it opens up sonic mydvd which i have no desire to use. So i just choose "data" and this way i made the discs that played on my set up and on my pc.

in ulead burn now i choose data DVD as there is no video option.

What Authoring software are you using?
It's a bit complicated.. When i can get access to the studio i'm using DVD Studio Pro on mac which is what created the master i have.
Usually i'm stuck with my desktop PC and thus only have DVDit Pro and currently a rubbish graphics card so seems pointless doing more authoring at home.

I managed to burn the image file using ulead burn now and my computer sees there is an image file there but doesn't know how to open it. My set top player said it couldn't read the disk.

flee the scene

Return to posts index

George W.
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:30:37 am

Can you lits the total sizes of both DVD's (Original and Copied version).

Also check that both versions have all the same folders and files.

I don't know why they would be "half the size" -- unless your DVD happens to be less than about 1gb, and one burning package burns a minimum of 1gb, while the other one only burns the actual files (i.e. no padding up to 1gb for DVD Compatibility).

I would caution against burning in "DVD-DATA mode" -- because DVD-VIDEO's need to be burned properly for better compatibility (i.e. files in proper order IFO/VOB/BUP, and proper DVD-VIDEO placement of certain files).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

madamblahblah
on Feb 5, 2007 at 12:46:33 am

Both say 121 mb. How weird..

As i said, with ulead burn now, i can "make direct copy" or "create disk".
"Create disk" only allows data dvd for some reason.

In sonic record now, if i hit video disk it opens up some sort of authoring program. so i can only do data on there really too.

What burning software would you recommend?

If i burn direct copy of a copy will it be as good as the master, at least theoretically..?

thanks..
:S

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]