FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD with Interactive Extras

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terri Gustafson
DVD with Interactive Extras
on Feb 2, 2007 at 2:40:27 pm

I've just started a new DVD project associated with Ken Burn's "The War". The video content will be straight forward. Main feature, Extra Interviews, etc... However, I'd like to know if the following is possible:

An interactive map with key "hot spots" that react with a "fact box" that opens when the user on the computer side rolls over it and if they click on it, a short video clip associated with that "hot spot" opens. Even if can't make the video clips work, I'd like to have the "fact box" open up.

I'm sure the map and interactive stuff can be created in Director, but how do I include it on the DVD and get it to work on a set top player and on a PC/Mac?

Also, do understand most of the threads correctly that if I want to include links to the internet (Library of Congress, Veterans Project) that DVD@ccess is junk and I should look into EDVD or Intellidisc?

Thanks a million!
Terri

G4 Mac
Final Cut Studio
DVDSP 4

Return to posts index

eric
Re: DVD with Interactive Extras
by
on Feb 2, 2007 at 7:01:30 pm

eDVD is about your only reliable bet in including this functionality on the ROM side of the disc. You could include a Flash or Director application to do this - similar to a flash site and use eDVD to access this portionn of the disc.

Here's a good eDVD tutorial for V3:

http://www.sfbaaug.org/tutorials/sonic_edvd.html

This will, however, only work on a computers. Set tops cannot access DVD-ROM material.

Good Luck

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Feb 3, 2007 at 12:00:34 pm

Terri,

Your two options are indeed eDVD and Intellidisc. Eric posted a link to Alex A's excellent tutorial on the basics of using eDVD 3 (it's now at version 4), which is very helpful when you are first starting to use the application. eDVD 4 is the only way to do something as potentially complex as you describe. There is another article on the features available with the latest version:

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=55&page=http...

Intellidisc would allow you to have an 'interactive' map with changing text and video boxes. However, it will only work on a PC, and it takes some reasonable knowledge on html creation to put it all together.

One last thought, and this is coming from someone who has done a fair amount of these types of discs, I am not sure how much longer rom content enhanced discs are going to be supported for standard definition discs. The next generation HD discs each have their own means of adding enhanced content, which is departure from what is used on standard definition discs. I think future resources will be focused on HD discs, and alas, standard def discs are going to go by the wayside (as it relates to rom enhancement; I think video only distribution will be around for some time). eDVD 4 has dropped off the face of the earth so to speak on Sonic's website (unless someone can point me to where they are hiding it now). Some types of content (like Flash) have in the past relied on Sonic to update eDVD so that it work appropriately--but if it's not being actively supported, there will be limits to the types of content you can add. eDVD is based on Interactual Player, and it's unclear as to what will happen in the future with Vista, new IAP players and the retro-workability of discs created with older players or based on older players and the new systems they will be played on.

I hope the discs will continue to play, but time will tell. For right now your first challenge will be to find a copy of eDVD 4. If you do, then there would be a way to emulate what you describe, but it would take some pre-planning and work to accomplish (but it would work well, and be fun for the viewer).

Jim

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Feb 6, 2007 at 9:35:27 pm

Thanks Jim!

That was the tutorial I was looking for but settled for Alex's.

Return to posts index

Terri Gustafson
on Feb 19, 2007 at 2:42:23 pm

Thanks for the insite. I've been looking around at Sonic's website and it appears the eDVD is no more according to their user forums. When I search for it, all I come up with is DVDit 6 Pro and as of December, eDVD is NOT included with it. So, that changes my plans a bit.

There is a feature on "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" called "Capt. Jack: Head to Toe" that will work on both my set-top player and my DVD-ROM in my PC. I'm guessing they did this with scripting and "faked" the interactive part of it. (??) Thoughts? Familiar with this feature?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]