FORUMS: list search recent posts

help with transferring from Avid 5.6.4 -> Encore 2.0

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
worldwiser
help with transferring from Avid 5.6.4 -> Encore 2.0
on Jan 31, 2007 at 6:56:01 pm

Hi all,
I've spent all afternoon trying to figure out the best way to get my edited Avid PAL project onto DVD. Avid exports a fantastic Quicktime Movie and the resolution is lovely. However, trying to import this into Encore yields the error message: "must have a resolution of 720x576 or 704x576". Now, I've tried, but Avid doesn't allow you to adjust resolution settings for Quicktime files. I'd heard that Quicktime is the industry standard so was surprised that it didn't work :-(

I've tried exporting as a .wmv file but it takes forEVER, the quality is awful and the 16:9 ratio of my footage is not respected.

I'd be so grateful if someone could let me know what is the best way to export from Avid into Encore in the quickest time with the lowest loss of quality and with 16:9 ratio respected.

You're all lovely for helping!!
Simon

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: help with transferring from Avid 5.6.4 -> Encore 2.0
on Feb 1, 2007 at 12:00:11 am

You export as 16x9.
Huge mistake...
Even 16:9 is in fact 720 x 576
What happens is that your QT has a 'display' set for 1024 x 576.
Now what you have to do:
either scale the QT's to 720 x 576 in QT pro and save (mind you, this is NOT a render, it's just the display you have to change!) or export again from avid with 4:3 set, just as 720 x 576

For the encoding you have to 'flag' the clips as being widescreen.
While i'm at it, watch out that Avid uses 'studio RGB', you have to tell Encore that or your blacks will be grey (not an Encore expert, do not even know if it is possible there)

Bouke

http://www.videoToolShed.com
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

worldwiser
on Feb 1, 2007 at 1:06:38 am

Hi Bouke,
Seemed like a sensible solution but I've just tried re-exporting as a 4:3 and it gives me the same error.

So I tried exporting again, but forcing it to 720x576. When I loaded the result into Quicktime, the image and audio were both choppy. However, Encore WAS able to read this unusable file.

Any further thoughts?!

Simon

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 1, 2007 at 7:38:24 am

Don't worry about the choppyness. If it's native resolution, it'll work out just fine.
Make sure you flag them in Encore as being wide.

Bouke

http://www.videoToolShed.com
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]