FORUMS: list search recent posts

DiscMakers Elite Duplicator

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Betz
DiscMakers Elite Duplicator
on Jan 26, 2007 at 4:11:44 pm

Greetings.

We've been using a DiscMakers Elite2 duplicator since August 2006. We have had a boatload of problems which seem to have finally been resolved by replacing a bad cable. Their Tech Support is very good.

But I'm surprised to find virtually no commentary on the DiscMakers systems here on the Cow, especially given the strength of their marketing. They must have a bunch of systems out there.

Is anyone using DiscMakers duplicators?

Return to posts index

FischTale
Re: DiscMakers Elite Duplicator
on Jan 26, 2007 at 10:32:05 pm

I have one. Mine is the Elite Micro with the printer. I had a few initial problems and had the same great experience with their tech support. After those first couple of bumps in the road it has worked perfectly. It feels great to start a project, go to bed, and wake up with a big pile of discs ready for me!

Return to posts index

Michael Betz
on Jan 27, 2007 at 12:59:33 pm

That's good to hear. It seems that the cable was the source of many if not all of our problems. I wish we would have diagnosed it sooner, but intermittent failures are the most difficult problems to troubleshoot.

We successfully printed 1,000 CD-Rs without errors, and ran 50 full DVDs without stopping - so we're hopeful this is the start of a trend.

Our current challenge is figuring out the printer. It's based on an HP engine and - apparently - determines ink level by counting the number of drops of ink emitted. Being a frugal sort, I like to hang onto the tri-ink cartridges if there is still a lot of - say - magenta left. Then, when we're running red labels, I can use it up. The problem appears to be that the printer only remembers three cartridges and is easily confused.

Does your printer work in that same way?

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jan 29, 2007 at 5:39:39 pm

I own the Elite 4 Pro and I have to say I was pretty pissed at DiscMakers for a long time.

The problem is in the engineering.

This unit will do 200 discs at a time.

The issue is, once it does 100 of them, the cable gets caught in between the loader and the new disc which pops it off the robot arm and onto the floor.

Mine has also had all 4 drives replaced over time (since may). they have all eventually gone dead but the new ones are ok.

They also replaced my cable and it seems to be more reliable, but I still think it will not load discs past 100 (have not had a huge job in awhile)

What ticks me off though is that one support guy asked which side of the robot arm the cable goes and i said it came installed on the right. Well he said it should be on the left, which made it worse as it would then catch on the drive door.

I modified it so that the cable comes out right next to the drive and it thus out of the way and can't get between the arm and the discs. This seems to work reliably.

What does not work reliably is the printer.
Once in awhile it pauses and just says the printer is not responding.
I hit ok then it continues. It of course only does this when I have many discs to do and right after I leave for the day.

I hate disc makers.

Return to posts index

Michael Betz
on Jan 31, 2007 at 8:04:24 pm

I understand your frustration. It's always something.

Just today, it started printing really odd, distorted discs. I spent some time listening to it print, and I noticed that the sound had changed. Apparently, enough ink had gotten on the stainless bar that the print cartridges ride on that it was "hitching." It cleaned up pretty well and - knock on wood - is continuing to work properly.

Glad you got your cable issue solved.

Return to posts index

Michael Betz
on Feb 6, 2007 at 6:27:31 pm

An update to my previous post: Although the bar the print carriage rides on was definitely covered with ink, the real culprit was sitting just above the bar. There is a transparent plastic strip that the printer uses to index where the print cartridges are. That had gotten completely covered in ink, making it impossible for the printer to read. A quick cleaning with isoprophyl alcohol, and all appears well.

Return to posts index

Edwin Vazquez
on Apr 28, 2009 at 7:16:06 pm

Hello . I also have Elite 4 issues but not with the cable as of yet but with the disc drives , one of them is dead.Where did you get yours replaced ? Did you send your unit in to a repair facility or did discmakers send the drives to you directly ? I tried to contact tech support and I get no response.

Ed @ evermedia

Return to posts index

Michael Betz
on Apr 30, 2009 at 2:21:41 pm

Hi, Ed. Others have reported failed. Ours have all been OK. But I'm surprised by what you said about DiscMaker's tech support. It has been excellent for us. We can call and get help over the phone, or we can send them an email and we get a reply within a day. How are you trying to reach them?

Return to posts index

bellman3021
on May 3, 2007 at 1:00:18 am

I have an elite series with two drives and I was very unimpressed by their engineering as well. The cable was and still is my issue. I called tech support and the fella told me to reroute the cable.. I replied with this won't void my warranty will it? The answer was no.

So 2 hours later and I still couldn't figure out a good way to route the cable and ended up not using their eyelets for attaching the cable and simply allowed it to "free float" aboveagainist the printer.

If I weren't under a tight deadline they'd be on the phone with me more. Once I get this project done their going to get an ear full :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Betz
on May 3, 2007 at 12:19:37 pm

That pick arm cable seems to be the Achilles heel of the Elite system. We had to replace ours a few months after purchasing the unit.

I've found that the best routing path is to run the cable BEHIND the pick arm column. Use a loose tie wrap on the second attachment point from the bottom (leave the bottom attachment point open).

That seems to provide enough slack for the cable, but not so much that it gets in the way of the printer tray or drive doors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]