FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCpro 50 to DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sliphost005
DVCpro 50 to DVD
on Jan 16, 2007 at 9:24:53 pm

Hi, does anyone have experience burning a regular format dvd using dvcpro 50 footage without down-rezing to dv?
...last year I had my 35mm film footage transfered to both uncompressed HD (and also regular dv so that I could do an initial edit). Now I am readying the work for exhibit, but the gallery has regular format dvd players (not blue laser).
My question is this: how do I achieve the best possible result on playback but still be able to edit on my own mac? I have 8 gigs of RAM and plenty of harddrive space (so you know, I have been working happily with my P2 footage in FCP I have not yet burned a dvd from this particular format).

Do you recommend that I have the HD tape transfered to DVCpro 50, do the edit and then burn in dvd studio pro? Can one fit approx 15 minutes of DVCpro 50 to a regular dvd? I am assuming that DVD studio pro will build the project without losing image quality? Will there be a notable quality difference considering that I am using a regular dvd player (as opposed to just burning the dv footage that I have already edited?).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVCpro 50 to DVD
on Jan 18, 2007 at 7:33:45 am

Not exactly- all DVD's are MPEG-2, you cannot put HD or DVCPRO50 or any other video format beside MPEG-2 onto a standard DVD. That said, the cleaner the source the better your MPEG-2 will look.

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

sliphost005
Re: DVCpro 50 to DVD
on Jan 29, 2007 at 6:03:21 pm

Thanks Noah, I am going to try and get a computer set up so that I can run the Dvcpro 1080 60i directly to the projector.
Fiona

Return to posts index

sliphost005
PS.
on Jan 29, 2007 at 6:28:08 pm

Recently, I took the HDcam footage in (transfered from 35mm film) to get transfered to DVCpro HD 1080 60i so that I could edit it on my own system (FCP). The first time they made a 720 p copy instead so I had to take it back it to get redone to my specs (dvcpro 1080 60i). Curiously when I brought my hard drive home with the new dvcpro1080 60i footage, the overall file size (approx. 20 min. of footage) was the same as the 720 copy they had mistakenly made earlier (22.6 G). I fully expected a larger file size as the data rate would be higher. Am I missing something here? Do you think that they simply uprezed the 720p version? or?
your reply very much appreciated! thanks!
F

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]