Hello, I'm a motion designer who's interested in getting into DVD authoring. I've got a copy of Final Cut Studio, with DVD Studio Pro. I get the impression from surfing various sites and forums that DVD SP is not the dominant app (like After Effects or Final Cut) for this type of work. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to really dive in to the program. Some of the questions I have are:
- What is the dominant app for this type of work?
- How widely used is DVD SP for pro work (or is it just for hobbyists)?
- What other resources are on the web for the folks who want to learn the program?
- What websites are out there showcasing the best in DVD design?
Any help/advice you can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
1. There are spec level tools such as Scenarist NT which allow the author to use the DVD spec in anyway they see fit. DVDSP is an "abstraction layer" tool - much of the work involved is hidden from the author. To get from point A to point C DVDSP must go to point B first. In a spec level tool you can go from point A to point C directly - hope this make sense.
2. You'd be surprised how many titles are authored in DVDSP - several thousand.