FORUMS: list search recent posts

Double Density Disks?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
topher944
Double Density Disks?
on Jan 6, 2007 at 12:25:10 am

I have a post-house that wants to take my 13 hour program on digi beta and put it on four glass masters. Does this mean that those glass masters are dual layer or are they turning the bitrate way down in order to accomodate the volume. It they are creating dual layer disks how many end user players have the ability to read dual layer? Thanks in advance for your time. Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Double Density Disks?
on Jan 6, 2007 at 8:33:48 pm

[topher944] "how many end user players have the ability to read dual layer?"
All DVD players will be able to use a DVD-9 replicated disc. Note the word replicated. That implies (as does the term glass master) that the disc are created by a "stamper" as opposed to a burned (a.k.a. recorded, a.k.a. duplicated) disc. Replicated discs will be fine in almost all players - both set-tops and computers. (I say almost all because you never know what kind of crap the end-user has.) Dual-Layer recorded (burned) disc are much less reliable and should be avoided.

[topher944] "13 hour program on digi beta and put it on four glass masters"
That means they will be putting about 3:15:00 on each disc. If these are DVD-9 discs then the average bitrate would have to be about 5.3Mbit/s which produces a fair to good image. (The video bitrate of 5.3Mbits/s assumes audio is encoded to dolby 2/0 @ 192kbit/s - which is typical and recommened - and that there is only one audio stream.

Spreading the 13 hours over 5 DVD-9 discs would mean an average bitrate of 6.7Mb/s which is very good to excellent quality. Manufacturing costs are, naturally, higher making 5 disc instead of four.

Have them encode a few minutes of your show at the 5.3Mb/s rate and give it to you on a disc. You can then evalutate the quality yourself. If they want your business they should be willing to do this demo for you.

Hope this is helpful.

Dave

Return to posts index

topher944
Thanks Dave!
on Jan 9, 2007 at 7:31:40 am

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]