FORUMS: list search recent posts

Explaining DVD Quality on Computer

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spooky
Explaining DVD Quality on Computer
on Dec 22, 2006 at 5:17:03 am

Hello all,

I just created a DVD for a client. The DVD looks great when viewed on a TV monitor. It's all motion graphics and even the small type is coming in crisp. The problem is explaining to the client why the graphics look blurry when viewed on a computers DVD player. I explained about resolution and the fact that the DVD player is doubling or tripling the size of the player window to fit the monitor. It was kind of a hard sell and I don't think they are convinced.

So, is there a source on the net somewhere that I can point them to? I did some searches for things like "Why do my DVD's look bad?", but haven't found anything. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
Re: Explaining DVD Quality on Computer
on Dec 22, 2006 at 6:29:32 pm

Many factors are involved: Interlaced/Progressive, encoder, bitrate, etc. Give more details on your prject about these factors.

Don't fear the tiger, the Cow is near!

Studio Plasma
Mastering & DVD
Montreal (QC) Canada
http://www.studioplasma.ca

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
Re: Explaining DVD Quality on Computer
on Dec 28, 2006 at 12:14:42 am

What you explained to them is exactly right, but there are a few more things to consider.

One is the player they use to play the DVD. Windows Media for example does a very bad job at uprezing.

Two, unless you are providing them with big budget DVDs, it's not going to look like the movie they watched on that same computer the night before, (footage shot on DV or HDV and then re-compressed to mpeg2 is going to look pretty bad compared to that big budget movie).

And of course, a computer monitor will tend to show many of these compression artifacts that weren't visible or a TV or a broadcast monitor. I would tell them that unless they play it at the standard size (not full screen) they will see a significant loss of quality, but that no matter what, the amount of money they spent on the source will reflect the final DVD. You could also hand them a progressive DVD if they are only playing them on computers.

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]