FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is DLT more accurate for chapter point than DVD for replication?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Is DLT more accurate for chapter point than DVD for replication?
on Dec 12, 2006 at 1:33:46 pm

The client wants a chapter point just after one scene, and just before the narrator says "For our next..." The exact placement turns out to be impossible for the I-frames in the file - but there's a twist. When I place the chapter point in Encore, I can either put it on the last frame of the previous scene, or after the narrator says "For."

I made a DVD image and then DVDs with chapter points at both locations. Guess what?

When I place the chapter point late (after "For") the chapter actually starts with "next." When I place the chapter point too early (on last frame of previous scene) I actually never see the previous scene, and I get the full line from the narrator. So the chapter point as previewed in Encore is more accurate, and starts earlier, than the actual chapter point in the DVD.

Question: I can make either a DVD-R or a DLT for the client. Is this fortunate error/delay going to disappear if I supply a DLT? iow - is the DLT going to be more accurate than a DVD-R would be, for replication?

In this case, more accurate = less desirable. I'm encoding from a Digital Rapids card, "live," so have no control over exact placements of I-frames and therefore chapter points. And I don't want to redo the whole 90-minute show because that would entail redoing all the chapter points, all of which are great except for this one.

Thanks for your insights.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Is DLT more accurate for chapter point than DVD for replication?
on Dec 13, 2006 at 5:10:26 am

Howdy Bob,

You might find that different DVD players give you different results with regards to the first pic/sound after the chapter point. The chapter point is exactly where you placed it though. Things like decoder speed, buffer sizes and other electro-mechanical and electronic factors determine exactly what gets out the spigot first. I don't think duplicated vs replicated will make one bit of difference.

A useful tool for you in this instance might be TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 2.0 as it can take an mepg file and add I frames exactly where you want them. It will only re-encode the GOPs around the new I frames so most of the mpeg file is left untouched. It's very fast too. Hope you still have a Windows machine around though cause it's a PC program.

How'd your file transcode marathon work out?

Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Thank you and old FCP issue
on Dec 13, 2006 at 1:37:04 pm

Thanks! Good old TMPGenc. I have TMPGenc and MPEG Tools, but don't have MPEG Editor, and I think the client wants it yesterday, with all its flaws, but I'll try to remember that for next time.

[Dave Friend] "
How'd your file transcode marathon work out?"

I assume you're asking about the project where I had to customize, in three steps, 290 versions of three basic spots, and tried in FCP to create a sequence of a sequence of a sequence, which worked great, even after I changed the first sequence -- until FCP suddenly substituted a prior version of the first sequence. I did what I think you said, which was to export a QT movie and reimport that. In fact I wound up doing that over and over. But at least I got through it. Thanks for your help on that one, and my apologies for not getting back to you about it. I guess I didn't want to think about it for awhile. Very disappointing and disturbing experience, because now I have zero confidence in FCP media management, if that is what it is called. But would Premiere Pro have been any better?

-- Bob C.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Thank you and old FCP issue
on Dec 13, 2006 at 11:13:42 pm

[Bob Cole] "I guess I didn't want to think about it for awhile."

Completely understandable.

[Bob Cole] "But would Premiere Pro have been any better?"
Almost certainly not.

Procoder or Media Cleaner might have been a good tool. (A little late for that comment now - sorry)

Dave

Return to posts index

seminewbie
Re: Thank you and old FCP issue
on Dec 15, 2006 at 12:10:10 am

I know what it's like to get through something then not want to think about it. I just finished a huge project with hundreds of versions.(Trivia Game) SHUDDER!!!! Never again.......unless, of course, I need the money. (Which, of course, I will)

Strangely enough the only tool that made it bearable for me was After Effects. It seemed to handle dropping layers in and out much easier than any NLE I have access to.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]