FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality of the DVD picture is pretty mediocre - Feature film shot on HDV - HELP.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
EDITORINSANTAMONICA1
Quality of the DVD picture is pretty mediocre - Feature film shot on HDV - HELP.
on Dec 7, 2006 at 6:48:42 pm

Dear Creative Cow friends,

The production company shot a terrific film with well-known stars on HDV. We're not DVD Studio Pro people, so please help us! Thanks!

INFO:
We edited the film in FINAL CUT PRO 5.0 (HD). When we did a DVD, the picture quality did not look crisp or 100% there.

QUESTIONS:

1) Should we go for a dual-layer DVD?

2) We can't set the quality level above a 3 as it would get us past 4 gigs (standard DVD), so what should we do?

THANK YOU! If you're ever in Santa Monica, drop by.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Quality of the DVD picture is pretty mediocre - Feature film shot on HDV - HELP.
on Dec 11, 2006 at 2:57:00 pm

I make DVD's (SD of course) from an HD timeline (in Media 100) and am also disappointed with the quality. My process is though probably the best as suggested by many pros. I encode with BitVice (distributed by Innobits) at a Variable Bit Rate (average about 7.5) through a double pass. Then create a Dolby ac3 audio file in Compressor then build and burn with DVD Studio Pro 4. Use best quality DVD blanks (Verbatim 4.7 GB Minus R) and burn at the slowest speed. The results are acceptable but compared with tape masters much inferior. All this should change when we can produce (and play!!) HD DVD's.

Return to posts index

daniel_l
Re: Quality of the DVD picture is pretty mediocre - Feature film shot on HDV - HELP.
on Dec 11, 2006 at 11:05:24 pm

You should post this over at the Compression techniques forum.

Video AllSorts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]