FORUMS: list search recent posts

hardware mpeg2 encoder advice?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paulos
hardware mpeg2 encoder advice?
on Dec 4, 2006 at 11:29:16 am

hey there

we do a lot of MPEG2 encoding for our weekly output to our media server. Currently we are using Cleaner 6 for this task.

I have recently heard on the boards about real time MPEG2 conversion via hardware cards.

can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I would need to make this happen...preferably Mac based but PC is ok if there is no good Mac solution.

thanks for your help

G5 DP 2.0 (Power PC)
4.0G RAM
OS 10.4.8
QT 7.1.3
FCP 5.1.2
BMD Decklink Extreme 5.7.2
PAL Land

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: hardware mpeg2 encoder advice?
on Dec 4, 2006 at 2:20:57 pm

If you ar eencoding a video that is already on your computer, then given today's powerful machines, there are software encoders that can encode much faster than realtime (might depend on the codec of your source videos). I downloaded the CCE Basic Trial program, and it encoded a 3-minute DV .avi in a little over one minute (1-pass CBR 6000kbps). This was on an older P4 3.0ghz machine -- so I can only imagine how fast it would run on a more recent machine...

If you are trying to encode from a video source in realtime, there are also software solutions that will capture/convert in realtime. Mainconcept's mpeg encoder is one that comes to mind. They have a standalone encoder, but a few NLE's use it as their mpeg encoding engine. Ulead for instance uses the Mainconcept mpeg encoder, and it will let you capture DV source to mpeg2 in realtime (needs a strong enough machine to keep up, but I think with today's computers that it's manageable).

One other alternative for realtime encoding from an analog source is a standalone dvd recorder. I often record things this way, and then just import the mpeg for use in my Authoring application (to add my own menus and chapters...).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]