FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Master has glitches - bitrate or DVD-R?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
skotsmalls
DVD Master has glitches - bitrate or DVD-R?
on Nov 27, 2006 at 10:14:46 pm

Hello - wondering if someone can give me some advice.

I'm trying to make a DVD master. Program is 70 minutes, one menu, and one stereo AC3 track encoded at 192. Currently the video bitrate is 6.2.

Seems to me that this is well below the max. But I've had trouble with glitches on some consumer DVD players - including a pretty nice Denon machine. Some others have had no glitches. My DVD player in my computer also has no glitches.

So, I'm a bit confused. I could lower the bitrate further but it seems like I shouldn't have to.

I am planning on replicating this - making a glass master and doing a run of 1000 from this DVD-R.

Do you think my problems are related to the fact that it's a DVD-R and this will work itself out after replication?

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

eric
Re: DVD Master has glitches - bitrate or DVD-R?
by
on Nov 27, 2006 at 11:43:22 pm

Is this a VBR encode or a CBR encode? What kind of media are you using? Does the problem on the Denon occur in the same spot everytime? Have you tried another burn to see if the same error occurs?

Return to posts index

skotsmalls
on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:13:53 am

VBR, I think. Media = Memorex. I tried burning another disc and the same problem occurred. The glitches on the Denon occurred in the same spaces, roughly. Not always in exactly the same way.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:37:48 am

Which encoder did you use. Try a CBR encode (Constant Bitrate) around 6.3 and re-build - see if that plays on your Denon.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:43:22 am

Since it is VBR, there might be a bitrate "spike" in certain areas of your video. Try running your video through a bitrate viewer to see if there are any "spikes" at the spots you see a glitch. Here's a bitrate viewer you can try:
http://www.tecoltd.com/bitratev.htm

Also, what speed did you burn your DVD? Burners set to burn at high speeds can start burning at slower speeds, and then periodically throughout the burn they change the burning speed. What you might be seeing is a glitch at the point where your burner kicked into a different burning speed. Try burning at 4x or lower to see if that clears things up. It should only take about ~12 minutes to burn your DVD at 4x (given the time/bitrates you indicated).

btw, are you burning from an image file, or from DVD Folders? What burning software are you using? I would recommend burning from an IMAGE file.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

skotsmalls
on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:52:42 am

Sorry I left out crucial info:

I used DVDSP on mac to encode the DVD and burned it from an image file using Toast. Yes, a high speed burner was used. I will try all of your and eric's suggestions and see what happens.

BTW, that bitrate viewer looks great, but unfortunately I'm a mac user. Do you know of any such equivalent program for OSX?

Thanks so much for your responses...

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Nov 28, 2006 at 3:34:16 pm

try reencode at VBR (CBR) @ open (closed) GOPs

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 28, 2006 at 5:58:27 pm

I would also suggest trying different media...Maxell or Sony.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

skotsmalls
on Nov 29, 2006 at 12:09:50 am

Ok, so I tried making three new discs today. One at 6.2 VBR, one at 5.5 CBR, and one at 5.0 VBR - all with the same 192K ac3 audio. I also burned them on a different computer, and did the encoding on a diff machine as well (using the compressor program that is part of DVDSP). I used Maxell media this time, and burned them all at 4x speed.

In all cases, they had major clitches on my Denon DVD player. Not all in the same places, however, but consistent glitches throughout the program. I know it sounds like the Denon is acting up but I don't have problems with any other discs. I haven't tried these new discs on any other players yet, but the original one I was having trouble with played fine in some players, badly in others, so I'm assuming this might be the case with these as well.

Any other ideas? I must be going nuts at this point. I really just can't figure out what in the world I'm doing wrong!

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Nov 29, 2006 at 5:06:12 pm

Hm..only for testing: try to create video only disk, and see it
You must be sure, that AC3 file is no corrupt
Or, try to create project by other authoring software - any :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]