FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building Interactive DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MandyB
Building Interactive DVDs
on Nov 27, 2006 at 7:08:31 pm

I'm interested in building interactive DVDs and was wondering what professional programs were recommended for doing so. I'd like to be able to include weblinks and file downloads, similar to a press kit. I've played with DVD Studio Pro and its web@ccess links, but a program needs to be downloaded onto PCs in order to play them. I'd like the DVDs to be compatible with all computers without having to download any software. Anybody know any other good programs for macs? Thanks!

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Building Interactive DVDs
by
on Nov 27, 2006 at 8:07:18 pm

For Macs, DVDSP is pretty much it. For web links you can use Sonic's eDVD which works great or there's another application available but I cant remember the name - I hope someone else can lend a hand here.

A thing to remember though - The DVD spec was designed without the web in mind so there will be incompatibilities with this kind of authoring.

eDVD uses Interactual Player - which most newer PC have and will most likely self install but Mac users will have to manually install it

Return to posts index

MandyB
on Nov 27, 2006 at 8:12:31 pm

Thanks for your help and quick response, Eric. Is there more/better software out there for building DVDs on PCs?

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Nov 27, 2006 at 8:38:50 pm

Well..there are more apps for authoring DVDs on the PC side but DVDSP packs more features than anything on the PC side with the exception of some " high end" platforms some use. If your talking about using DVD weblinks in your title you must use a 3rd party application like eDVD or DVDAccess (which is built into DVDSP).

Authoring apps just author a disc according to the Spec. Another app is use to enable web access using your authored title. Make sense ? :)

If your using DVDSP stick with that then use a app like eDVD to enable web access. There is a tutorial on the Cow somewhere

Return to posts index

MandyB
on Nov 27, 2006 at 10:18:34 pm

Yes that makes sense and I will try that. Thanks Eric!

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Nov 27, 2006 at 10:19:51 pm

Also, check out this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=155&postid=...

Return to posts index

George W.
on Nov 27, 2006 at 11:21:59 pm

On the PC, Sonic's DVDiT Pro 6 comes with eDVD (for adding your web/file links). I recently saw an offer for 50% off (something like $199 for the entire bundle -- which seems like a good deal considering it will include a full version of eDVD 4). I signed up on their mailing list about 2 months ago, and got the offer in an email (ymmv).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]