FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode on DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mmazur1o5
Timecode on DVD?
on Nov 17, 2006 at 6:23:00 pm

My client want me to capture HDV footage of an interview, downconvert it and put it on a DVD. I know how to do all of this, but they also want to be able to see the timecode of the video while watching the DVD. Is there a way to put the videos timecode on the screen as it runs?

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Timecode on DVD?
by
on Nov 17, 2006 at 8:32:18 pm

DVD doesn't support timecode. You would have to encode your HDV footage with a window burn from your NLE.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 17, 2006 at 10:17:54 pm

If you have a deck, you can downconvert with the deck and feed the Composite (Super) output to your NLE. If you are working entirely with Firewire, you would capture first, add a timecode plugin to the video track and output the DVD with that clip. So you can use a Super composite out to feed a video card, or digitize first and use a plugin that will generate time code from the clip in the sequence, render that and make an MPEG from that.

The super out to a video input card is the easiest.

Even better, I have the composite super out of my HDV deck feeding a Sony DVD burner and it is as simple as hitting play on the deck and record on the burner. Done.

If you think you will do this more than once get the burner.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

mmazur1o5
on Nov 19, 2006 at 7:39:40 pm

Thanks for the advice Rich, this really helps me.

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Nov 20, 2006 at 1:16:36 pm

If you are talking about a "window dub," we do this all the time using a standalone DVD recorder. The signal is composite from the timecoded source (Betacam, DVCAM, whatever), using the deck's built-in window, to the the DVD recorder. If we are using the Avid, we run its TC output through a Horita window generator.
We also make DVD "scoring prints" for our music composer and for our closed captioner. For that, we record timecode on audio channel 2 of the DVD.
You should be able to do the same once it's downconverted.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]