FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non-interlaced MPEG2-DVD encoding and luminance levels

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jjordache
Non-interlaced MPEG2-DVD encoding and luminance levels
on Nov 15, 2006 at 4:58:09 pm

Can anyone shed some light on whether encoding full frame for MPEG2-DVD the target luminance level should fall between the standard 16-235 range?

I

Return to posts index

Frippy
Re: Non-interlaced MPEG2-DVD encoding and luminance levels
on Nov 16, 2006 at 5:22:02 am

Nobody knows what Mainconcept

Return to posts index

jjordache
on Nov 16, 2006 at 5:56:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Frippy.
I also did a very basic test with a generated psd file half black (0) and half white(255) that I encoded with both the progressive and interlaced high quality CBR presets.

Now, I

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Nov 17, 2006 at 7:38:59 am

/* Do you know what application can be used to analyze the native MPEG2 stream ? */
To do tests i use Womble MPEG Editor. WME can save frames from MPEG2 files, then i use Adobe Photoshop to test levels/aspect etc. Or i have RealMagic X-Card and with it help i can capture frames to BMP and again use PhotoShop

/* I still haven

Return to posts index

jjordache
on Nov 17, 2006 at 6:55:56 pm

Yes, the 601 standard unambiguously defines the nominal luminance range in 8 bit encoding as 16-235 to allow for signal processing footroom and headroom. My understanding is this was done because both the luminance and croma (nominal 16-240) signals can occasionally excurse outside the nominal range due to analog video processing and noise. I found that the progressive mode specified by the 601 standard to be no exception to this rule!
Now, the DVD player has to translate the digital encoding into proper voltage when outputting via analog connections and in NTSC land we have to deal with the stone-age quagmire of 7.5 IRE setup!

I also read that many DVD players actually always output 0 IRE via component and 7.5 IRE (NTSC) with composite and Y/C. Some give the choice. My LCD is hooked up via component; I have to re-check the settings. Further more, the brightness of the display has to be calibrated to the proper input level. If I switch from 7.5 IRE composite input to 0IRE component input, I would have to adjust the brightness to make up for the different luminance floor level.
To complicate things, DVD and TV sets manufactures chose to implement in different ways the luminance mapping from digital to analog!

Frippy, thanks for the input! And by the way, the forum link you gave me is all in Russian !

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Nov 18, 2006 at 10:26:58 am

/* To complicate things, DVD and TV sets manufactures chose to implement in different ways the luminance mapping from digital to analog! */

You can download (search google) for test signals tables, play it from DVD to TV, LCD, Plasma and you can correct TV settings to right values

/* Frippy, thanks for the input! And by the way, the forum link you gave me is all in Russian ! */

Russian and Eglish, of course!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]