FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd trivial question

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
demitkadet
dvd trivial question
on Nov 9, 2006 at 11:31:21 am

i have authored many dvds and up until now i still don't know the difference of using a dvd-r from a dvd+r, can anyone please shed light on what the fuss and difference is all about. thanks. eventhough it's trivial, i still want to know the answer.

Leo Ganzon
AVID Editor

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
Re: dvd trivial question
on Nov 9, 2006 at 2:48:09 pm

Hi Leo,

Basically, the DVD-R is the official format of the DVD-Forum. That is to say, it is official, and of course was first. Many DVD players, older ones, have to have a bit-set which states the DVD is a DVD-ROM.

DVD+R is a competing format, which came out after. It is not the official format for DVD writable media. And in fact, many players refused to play DVD+R media unless the burning application could bit-set the DVD+R media as DVD-R. Some hardware players are able to bit-set these DVD+R discs, and some cannot, which adds even more to the confusion.

The bottom line is this. If your recorder supports bit-setting, then many will tel you that DVD+R is the better format, and even more compatible than DVD-R is. But if your player doesn't set this bit, it makes DVD+R very incompatible. So much so that for myself, I use DVD+R for data only, and -R for anything I am going to give to a client.

Just when you think the issue is a clean as I have described, another bit of experience floated into this mess. DVD+R was the first to offer Double Layer media. And at this point, you're more likely to have compatible success with your client if you provide DVD+R DL media for double Layer one-offs to clients. Also referred to as DVD-9s, though DVD-9 is the correct term for a manufactured single-sided double layer DVD, and "Double-Layer" is the correct term for a burned media, burned from a recorder.

Relatively recently, the DVD-R camp finally released DVD-R DL. This is a somewhat new development, and so far, I don't personally know anyone using it.

So in general, here is what I do:

For DVD-5 VIDEO_TS burned and playable one-offs, I used DVD-R media. For data, I prefer to use DVD-R, but will use +R just the same. For Double-Layer one-offs, I insist on Verbatim DVD+R DL media.

Lastly, DVD+R DL media burned at 2.4 can take about 35 minutes to burn, and honestly, it's a step back into the old days, meaning, I don't have the solid success rate with DVD+R DL media that I enjoy with DVD-R single layer media. I'd say at least 10% of the time, I get a bad burn with Double Layer, and I have to start over.

Honestly, I am not a fan for the format, and hope the new BD burners do much better.

-Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]