FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delivering Dubs on DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Macadamia
Delivering Dubs on DVD
on Nov 8, 2006 at 7:32:51 pm

Not sure if this is the correct forum in which to post this question but it seemed like a good place to start. I have a client whose client has requested the delivery of a commercial on DVD. I am unfamiliar with this method of delivering to a broadcast or cable outlet. Is this being done? Is DVD being used as a medium for broadcast distributioin? If so, how is the DVD formatted to deliver the best quality?

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Delivering Dubs on DVD
by
on Nov 8, 2006 at 8:13:52 pm

Never heard it being used for a broadcast medium - maybe small local stations or cable hubs. DVD uses MPEG2 codec which is very lossy compared to other mediums.

But if thats what the client wants.... :)

Return to posts index

Rick Macadamia
on Nov 9, 2006 at 5:37:03 pm

Thanks for the response Eric. I checked with a couple of post houses here in town and they haven't encountered a DVD request before either but I guess if the client wants DVD that's what they'll get.

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Nov 10, 2006 at 3:29:43 pm

Depends on the station, but lots of broadcast TV (maybe most of it even) is MPEG-2 these days, but it's
sometimes at a much higher data rate than standard DVDs. Ask them what the specs are, that's always
the thing to do, evry broadcaster has their own specs.
Ed

[eric] "Never heard it being used for a broadcast medium - maybe small local stations or cable hubs. DVD uses MPEG2 codec which is very lossy compared to other mediums.

But if thats what the client wants.... :)
"

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Nov 10, 2006 at 5:02:44 pm

We have encountered delivery of commercial spots to cable networks on DVD. Make sure you get the specs for the deliverables, because they usually want bars & tone, slate, and a chapter point a certain distance from the first frame of the spot.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Rick Macadamia
on Nov 12, 2006 at 6:24:41 am

Again, thanks for the responses. It seems I've much to learn abou this brave new digital world in which we live. I'll ask a few questions of the client and, in all probablity, will end up turning this one over to a qualified post house to complete.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Nov 12, 2006 at 4:25:36 pm

Hi Rick

If you plan to have someone elso do the work give me a buzz- I'll be happy to help.

Eric
poweragemedia@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]