FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a Dvd Recorder out there that will burn to spec?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr_gfx
Is there a Dvd Recorder out there that will burn to spec?
on Nov 2, 2006 at 6:32:57 pm

We use Sonic to create Dvd's. But, the time it takes to make a simple 1 menu, 1 video dvd is cumbersome. And, only 1 staff member knows how to use the program and we want to have all staff be able to make a dvd.

So, we have Panasonic DMR-E55 recorders that work fine for copying a tape to a dvd. but, sometimes the dvds made on this recorder do not play in other dvd players.

not sure why.

so, is there a dvd recorder out there that can be bought that will definatley create dvds that will play on all players?

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
Re: Is there a Dvd Recorder out there that will burn to spec?
on Nov 2, 2006 at 7:00:06 pm

i would just like to add that i was told the dvds made from the panasonic dmr-e55 will not work on some other dvd players. i am not sure if that is fact.

does anyone know if this is true or not? or if the discs should playback on other ones?

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Nov 2, 2006 at 7:40:24 pm

If you want to see your disks on ALL players you must:
1. have DVD-R or DVD+R disk
2. if you have DVD+R disk you must set book-type DVD-ROM
3. if you use DVD-R DL disk you must be sure, that OTHERS players can read this type

IMHO - if you use dvd-recorder to capture and encode video, you MUST demux your dvd and create a new disk by using authoring software. if you not do it - you can have troubles...

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Nov 2, 2006 at 9:30:08 pm

we use dvd-r.

also, a coworker told me that computers are what are havin the problems playing it back. some computers wont play the dvd, and others, the play buttons dont match up with the video screen on the menu.

know anything about that?

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Nov 3, 2006 at 12:25:28 am

I don't know why this is an issue, but it is and there is a
quick way to fix it 90% of the time.

make a copy of the disc.

making a copy will strip out whatever compatability issue the dvd recorder is putting on the disc.

I've done this a few times for the rare occasion someone can't play the disc.

discs i have were made from the panasonic dmr-e30.

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Nov 4, 2006 at 1:36:06 am

You MUST record DVDs from IMAGE and TO DVD+R disks with book-type DVD-ROM

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Nov 4, 2006 at 6:44:53 pm

can you elaborate i dont understand what that means? im new to this.

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Nov 7, 2006 at 8:11:22 am

Mr.,

[mr_gfx] "So, we have Panasonic DMR-E55 recorders that work fine for copying a tape to a dvd. but, sometimes the dvds made on this recorder do not play in other dvd players.

not sure why."

I use a Pana DVD recorder and have never had a problem..., but I always burn in the SP (2 hr. mode), The bit rate on the 1 hr. mode is just a bit too high for some set-top players and apparently for some computer DVD-Rom drives.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Nov 8, 2006 at 5:43:10 pm

+R and book rom type is irrelevant to what we're discussing here.

Just make a copy of the disc and you'll be fine.
It's worked for me the last 5 years.

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Nov 8, 2006 at 6:15:37 pm

No...
if you want to play your DVD on ALL possible players you MUST set book-type to DVD-ROM for maximum compability with old players

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Nov 8, 2006 at 9:27:38 pm

You said sometimes it works on other players and sometimes it doesn't? Sounds like a media problem to me. Are you using a decent brand?

Another thing to consider- the encoders these set top recorder use are not the best. Depending on your settings , bit-rate spikes occur often at higher bitrates and they do not mux with AC3 audio ( A major major DVD must have :) . It would be best to use an outboard encoder with more control over bitrates and audio.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Nov 8, 2006 at 9:34:54 pm

Another thing to add here: DVDs are not like making VHS copies. There are so many variables - media, bitrates, audio bitrates, recorder quality, replicators :) ect. I don't use set top recorders but I understand in your case why you need one.

Do some research online to find a recorder people like and why. Maybe its the recorder, maybe the media? Do some testing. Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]