Alcorn McBride DVM7400 MPEG-2 encoding

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RoRK
Alcorn McBride DVM7400 MPEG-2 encoding
by
on Oct 21, 2006 at 4:43:08 am

Hi All
I've got an editing and encoding job where the completed presentation has to be played back from an Alcorn McBride DMV7400. I've been ProCoder 2 without much success. There is some artefacting during playback - stray pixels appear and do a sporadic, jiggly dance on the screen. Things look fine during playback on the computer and other devices.

There seems to be some voodoo with the playback device that I just can't seem to get around.

Production flow starts from Premiere and then to Procoder to output an M2P file. I bring the exported QuickTime movie, from Premiere, into Procoder for encoding into MPEG-2 at 10Mbits - the DVM supports up to 15Mbits. Using the Procoder plugin from within Premiere doe not solve the problem.

Has anyone had any experience, successful ones, with encoding video for this device?

My second Q is this - the Alcorn McBride wants a multiplexed file, program stream. Is it imperative to start with elementary streams and then multiplexing them? Or is it the same thing if I used Procoder to output a program stream from a QuickTime with embedded audio. It seems to me that all that multiplexing does is to combine the audio and video files into one stream.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Frippy
Re: Alcorn McBride DVM7400 MPEG-2 encoding
on Oct 21, 2006 at 9:40:30 am

first:
1. source video parametrs - size, fps... ?
2. target Procoder settings ?

second q: yes, multiplexed m2p by procoder = encode as elementary streams and multiplexing with any other utility

Return to posts index

RoRK
by
on Oct 21, 2006 at 12:19:46 pm

Hi Frippy

[Frippy] "1. source video parametrs - size, fps... ?"
Source video - QuickTime, Animation CODEC, 94% quality. Audio - 48Khz, 16bits, Stereo.

Video rez - 720x576 @ 25fps. Field ordering is Off. When Field Ordering is set to Lower, the results are the same.

[Frippy] "target Procoder settings ?"

WoW! This one's is a lots of info.
Let's see -

720x576 (upper or lower field results in the same issues)
Datarate - Between 7Mbits to 10 MBits - results in same issues. Variations with VBR or CBR also does not help.

Audio settings - MPEG-1 Layer 2, Stereo- 224 kbps and also 384kbps - no help here either.

ISO MPEG2 Stream - tried with DVD MPEG2 stream with the same issues

Closed GOP

GOP size = settings between 12-15 - nothing helps.

IBP frames = 3 (as specified in the Alcorn McBride manual).

Output to Programme Stream - have never used output to Elementary Stream and then used a secondary application to multiplex the video and audio. Would this help??? And if it does, I don't quite understand why it will. Isn't the multiplexing done within Procoder more or less do the same thing?

Thta's it. Let me know if what you think. Mucho appreciados!

RoRK

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Oct 21, 2006 at 1:26:10 pm

Hm..

http://www.alcorn.com/products/dvm/specs.html
http://www.alcorn.com/library/appnotes/encodingstandarddefvideo/index.html

Video Resolution 704x480 NTSC; 704x576
Aspect Ratios 4:3 or 16:9

I mean that you need to use procoder's General ISO MPEG file, this set resolution to 704x576 and aspect to 4:3. But i'm not sure that ProCoder's ISO MPEG Stream is "comply to ISO/IEC Specification 13818-2"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]