FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone still use Maestro? I need a new authoring program...

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Smith
Anyone still use Maestro? I need a new authoring program...
on Oct 18, 2006 at 4:21:29 pm

Hi guys

Feel like I am stuck in the 90s because I still use Maestro for my final authoring. I'm trying to learn DVD architect and finding it to be sorta a pain in the ass. Everything takes longer to do and doesn't seem to know wether it's a video editor, after effects, Making nice menus is a rather painful task because it wants to try and force you into using there hookey art work.

Unfortunately with HD and blueray just around the corner(oh wait they are here) I am gonna have to find a different authoring system. Maybe Scenarist is the way to go?

true to the tri!

Return to posts index

Frippy
Re: Anyone still use Maestro? I need a new authoring program...
on Oct 18, 2006 at 6:04:40 pm

Scenarist is the best authoring software, but....
Scenarist requred FULL authoring control: from preparing source material to writing to dlt or dvd_media
I use Scenarist from 1998, and mean that NO MORE software for dvd authoring :)
Yes, must create menus and subtitles by in other programs, but result is fine.
By Scenarist you can author "cell-level" projects.No any other program can do it.

If you have Scenarist, you can see my project "wedding" at http://www.spline.ru/DigitalVideo/svba_script.rar
This is example how to create menus "without buttons"

1. I use DVDMaestro when i need to create simply projects with menus and simple navigation.
By Maestro it's simply than by Scenarist.

2. After Maestro created VIDEO_TS, this folder can be written to DVD-R by Gear or Nero. After Scenarist create VIDEO_TS folder you can only test your project - need to write to DVD-R only image file.

If you want "nice menus" :) - use DVDLab, Encore, Architect.....
If you want powerful authoring - use Scenarist

ps: now Sonic shipping Scenarist HD-DVD and Scenarist Blu-ray - this is the future.

Return to posts index

Nathan Smith
on Oct 18, 2006 at 9:08:53 pm

Thanks

I was looking at Scenarist and it's more like what I need I think. I got a bit of time before the HD stuff comes rolling in to get used to it but it looks very much like Maestro in many respects but with many more features.

true to the tri!

Return to posts index

shvr
by
on Oct 18, 2006 at 9:37:48 pm

Don't jump the gun. By the time HD hits the bigtime (1 1/2 years I figure), you'll see a flurry of HD authoring programs already on the market. Adobe, Sony and all the rest will be releasing their HD authoring solutions by then.

Scenarist is awful pricey.....

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Oct 18, 2006 at 10:02:53 pm

You can't go wrong with Scenarist, if it doesn't bankrupt you. If you add in Cinevision, you better be ready to fork out close to 6 digits. It doesn't sound like from your initial post that you have been working in that cost range to produce dvd's to date? It's a pretty big leap to take it you are intending to integrate HD type discs in your workflow. The cost for this version of Scenarist is pretty expensive, but one can't argue it's track record.

Good Luck, it's interesting times and I don't think anyone really knows how the whole HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray will turn out.

Jim

Return to posts index

Nathan Smith
on Oct 18, 2006 at 10:51:00 pm

Company I work for replicates DVDs already so you can imagine which one we want to win out. :)

Not even sure how much a blueray replication system would be.

I thought Scenarist was around 20k but I haven't looked into it. We still have an original spruce encoder card and board. It's gonna die soon though.

I know some are gonna disagree but I am very happy with the mpegs I make in Vegas with the main concept plugin.

But yeah all these other programs I see I don't like how it makes menus for you. I spent so much time trying to work around this and shut off all it's little setting so that I could put in my own designs and sub menus. Takes so much time and to do a interactive title like this would be impossible.

true to the tri!

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Oct 19, 2006 at 2:06:22 am

Nathan,

If you are just going to be doing standard definition dvds', then you might be able to Scenarist in the 20K range, or perhaps a bit less as the HD versions start becoming more popular. If you are looking at getting into the latest version of Scenarist, then you are talking a whole lot more. If your company is looking into getting into authoring at this high level and have the capabilities of essentially all dvd types; then Scenarist is hard to beat.

However, you will find that Scenarist will require you to do a lot more on the front end for asset preparation, because you need to make your menus and the like and then import them. If you are looking to the future and want to be able to encode for HD discs, then you will need to get an encoder that handles the various HD codecs in addition to the standard definition mpeg2.

If you want an application that looks and feels like Maestro, then DVDStudioPro on the Mac will be familiar.

jim

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
on Oct 19, 2006 at 3:14:34 am

If I can add my suggestion, I use to merge 3 different applications to meet my different clients needs: DVD Studio Pro, Sonic DVD Fusion and DVDAfterEdit. DSP has features like stories and easy subtitles integration, Fusion let me author at the spec-level, and with DVDAfterEdit I can edit anything I need by merging VTSs created from one or both of the 2 first apps. I then write my DLT with DVDAE and then compare the final image with DLT. It's not Scenarist, but not far...

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Oct 19, 2006 at 5:31:45 am

:)
Scenarist is more-in-one software.
And if its cost is not a problem - scenarist is better

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]