FORUMS: list search recent posts

eDVD chapter question

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Meek
eDVD chapter question
on Oct 15, 2006 at 5:46:30 pm

If I build my project in Encore with no chapter points, Encore automatically sets a chapter point at the beginning of the video (timeline).

When I view the project in eDVD, it's showing two chapter points for each timeline!? Why is it showing a second chapter point when there isn't one set? I see nothing about this in the help or at support.

I thought maybe eDVD sees a 2nd chapter point at the end of the video, which would be ideal because I want the link to launch at the end and not the beginning. But when I set the link to launch at chapter 2, it behaves like I've set it for chapter 1.

So, I went back into the project and set a chapter 2 at the end of the timeline. So now in eDVD it's showing THREE chapter points for each timeline.

After studying the help further, it says "create chapter points at any location," and then says that chapters must be 3 seconds in length. I assume that means if I set a chapter point at the end, it must be 3 seconds from the end.

HELP! Why is it showing an extra chapter point, and is there any way to launch the link from the end of a timeline?

Thanks,
Julie

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: eDVD chapter question
on Oct 15, 2006 at 6:23:57 pm

I believe it is saying that you should put markers 3 seconds apart, not necessarily 3 seconds from the end....so if you have one 4 seconds from the end, you should put the next one 1 second from the end.

In Encore try zooming way into your sequence and see if there isn't an extra marker there. Otherwise, not sure.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
on Oct 15, 2006 at 6:44:09 pm

Julie,

I don't know much more about Encore, so I'm not sure about the 2 chapters you see in eDVD. Maybe Encore creates another chapter for its purpose, but... Use the first chapter and don't care about the other one. eDVD requires at least 3 seconds AFTER the chapter marker to be able to launch the link, so if you wish to put a chapter at the end, you should set it at least 3-4 seconds from the end. The time needed to launch depends on the system configuration the DVD is played back on. I usually set it 5 seconds length, to be safe.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Oct 15, 2006 at 10:31:00 pm

Julie,

I too don't use Encore, so I don't know why or if Encore is placing two chapter markers when you didn't put any on the timeline. By default, all dvd video streams will have a chapter mark at the beginning. I would be curious as to where eDVD is seeing the second chapter mark. If you click on that mark in eDVD to select it, and click on the arrow to the left of it, eDVD will simulate your dvd title playback from that chapter. It will show you where that chapter is.

As others have posted, you need at least 3 seconds of intervening video to launch a link (and I agree with Pierre that having a bit more than that to be safe is best). What you can do is add 5 or more seconds of just black video at the end of you video and set a chapter mark before the black appears. The viewer shouldn't see it, and it will give enough time for rom content to launch.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]