FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) workflow on a Mac - client needs a disc this week.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PKinLA
Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) workflow on a Mac - client needs a disc this week.
on Oct 10, 2006 at 5:32:18 pm

I was hired to shoot a 35mm film project that I transferred to D5 then downcoverted to DVC-ProHD (720p 59.94). It was edited on our Final Cut Timeline of the same specs. It looks gorgeous on the 50" panasonic HD display monitor through the AJA Kona HD-SDI cable and I want the client to see it looking that good as well since they paid a lot of money for this film. The client currently has a high-end Kalaidescope home theater system (networked data) which isn't up to speed with HD and can't screen HD content yet. We've determined the best way is for me to burn it to either an HD-DVD or an Blu-Ray DVD and have the client get a compatible player. Has anyone done this on a Mac? Which burner and software did you use? How did it work? How did the final product look? Based on the limited research I did this morning it looks like the Panasonic SW-5582 ($1,000) might be Mac compatible. And I guess I could use our DVD Studio Pro HD (4.5) or should I get the new Roxio Toast 7 which supposedly is good with HD & Blu-Ray DVDs. HELP. I don't want to spend $1,200 just to find out this won't work. ANY experience on this workflow would be invaluable.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) workflow on a Mac - client needs a disc this week.
by
on Oct 10, 2006 at 6:13:46 pm

Nope...DVDSP doesn't support the new burners yet. You can burn a Red Laser disc using the HD-DVD format with DVDSP but they have had problems with the new Toshiba update plus your limited on space.

HD DVD (Blu Ray /HDDVD)is not available yet to general professionals like you or me...so hang on - it will come soon enough ...maybe :):)

Return to posts index

Tip McPartland
on Oct 10, 2006 at 6:16:19 pm

Paul,

I can offer some insight -- the Sony player works very, very well and the BD output is visually identical to your NLE timeline's output. I burned from a 720P source (JVC HD100 acquisition).

I am using PC however, but I would be shocked it it didn't work just as well on the Mac. The bundled application works perfectly and is ridiculously easy, although I did not create an elaborate menu system, etc. For simple playback, it's just a few clicks once you've rendered a file to the appropriate format, in my case as I recall it was m2t. $699 at newegg.com.

The only issue would be playback on a consumer BD player -- hopefully the BD-R or BD-RE discs will play in the Samsung, which has come down in price, or if you can wait, buy the Sony as it will no doubt be better (due November 13th).

As of now there is no HD-DVD burner, which is too bad as players as more reasonable and format more sorted out. Oddly enough, the HD-DVD blank discs are for sale, for example they are on the shelves at Fry's Electronics and listed at many on-line stores. You would think that this would indicate a burner was forthcoming, but so far no announcements other than a Japan-only $3,000 appliance.

Tip McPartland

Return to posts index

Tip McPartland
Clarification.... Sony BURNER
on Oct 10, 2006 at 6:18:31 pm

In the first line of my last post I mentioned the Sony player, I meant to say Sony burner.

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Oct 10, 2006 at 8:14:33 pm

[Tip McPartland] "The only issue would be playback on a consumer BD player -- hopefully the BD-R or BD-RE discs will play in the Samsung,"

I've often read over at the avs forums that the Samsung will not play back recordable BD titles.

How long is your piece?

I have some experience doing HD-DVD's in Dvdstudio pro and they will playback from the Toshiba just fine as long as the firmware is 1.xx and not upgraded to 2.0 However, you can use ulead's hd-dvd creation software and the burned disc will work just fine in the Toshiba with 2.0 firmware. according to the folks over at the avs forums.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 11, 2006 at 12:23:32 am

Isn't it amazing how quickly formats go from drawing board to "client needs it this week." How did they even know they needed it? :)

-Noah

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Oct 11, 2006 at 2:44:41 am

Tip,

Could you tell me what software would play the blu-ray disc on the Mac?

Paul,

Burning HD discs for consistant, consumer playback on either platform is NOT ready for prime time. It's barely ready for the Hollywood big boys.

I have made and played several HD-DVD's by burning HD content onto standard red laser (which is not the blue laser media that will come out with the HD-DVD burners some time next year) media and have played them on the Toshiba player. They use mpeg2, which is basically a direct transfer of the m2t(which is a mpeg file format) files from an HDV camcorder. They will also play on an Apple, since the Apple software dvd player will playback HD-DVD discs (not Blu-Ray).

There are no Blu-Ray burner interfaces that I know of for the Mac currently, although I am sure they will be since Apple is a major player in the Blu-Ray format. There are no authoring apps on the Mac side that will author a Blu-Ray disc. There are some entry level applications that come bundled with the Blu-Ray burners to create Blu-Ray recordable discs--but then again you are limited to a very few number of computers that actually have a Blu-Ray burner on them; and just about as few Blu-Ray set top players that from reports don't play back recordables, or are at least unreliable.

IMO, I wouldn't invest a ton of money on either of the formats hoping that you picked wisely when stuff starts rolling out early next year.

Jim

Return to posts index

Tip McPartland
Here's a Mac Blu-Ray drive/burner.
on Oct 11, 2006 at 6:56:55 am

This drive by Logitech is reputed to be a Mac burner, and if so it would be a good one since it has 50 GB dual layer recording. I didn't read the article yet so I can't jot down the release date.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/02/first.mac.blu.ray.drive/

Tip McPartland

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
Re: Here's a Mac Blu-Ray drive/burner.
on Oct 12, 2006 at 2:00:04 pm

That was an August post, I haven't seen any actual release of a Mac burner from a reputable company--but I sure could be wrong.

The Blu-Ray burners for PC's came out earlier this summer--but no real software to author, and no reliable way of watching recordable discs on set top players. Basically they offered little more than a means of high capacity optical data storage. Just because there is a "Mac" burner, doesn't mean you can actually make Blu-Ray discs for set top playback. My previously posted reservations still stand.

Jim

Return to posts index

Tip McPartland
on Oct 12, 2006 at 3:26:10 pm

Jim,

Fair enough, I haven't been able to try the one disc I made on a set-top player, so I certainly can't disagree with you. But I would be ticked off at Sony if that was the case.

Tip

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Oct 13, 2006 at 9:53:13 pm

The next version of Toast (8 i think) will support blu-ray burning
and drag and drop functionality (treat it like a hard drive)

Its also supposed to have some very simple authoring tool.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Oct 14, 2006 at 3:40:05 am

I've heard that too, but the fact still remains that there really isn't anything of substance out there yet on a Mac (or a PC for that matter) for authoring to Blu-Ray recordables. The burners come with some rudimentary options for disc output, which is a nice start, but hardly what we've become used to for standard definition disc creation. They should lend themselves well for high capacity optical data storage, but seems to be a pretty expensive way to go for data backup with all the other options out there. The price point (at least for me) is too high for creating data discs and entry level HD dvd's. I'm still holding out to see what's around the corner with Apple and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. Maybe there isn't anything on the horizon, but that's hard to believe.

Jim

Return to posts index

walter Graff
on Oct 31, 2006 at 12:05:01 am

So how are you guys burning HD onto standard disks? I have tried it with DVD studio pro with no success.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Nov 1, 2006 at 2:45:12 pm

You have to use mpeg 2 and aiff audio; track only playback (set first play for the track); menus don't work--hence the need for setting the track as first play (and deleting the default menu that DVDSP will create with a new project so you avoid the error message on disc build). You would build and format/burn to disc as you normally would.

This is if you want your disc to play on a Toshiba set top player. You can author with menus if you are going to play the disc on a Mac capable of playing HD content (which is basically any new Mac or older Mac that would support the latest Final Cut Studio applications).

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]