FORUMS: list search recent posts

media: speed rating's impact on reliability

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
media: speed rating's impact on reliability
on Oct 8, 2006 at 12:42:46 pm

According to my search of this forum, the experts like media from Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Maxell, and Sony.

What about write speed? My Sony DRU-540A writes at a max. of 8x for DVD-R, and I usually use 1X because I've read that lower write speeds translate to better readability.

Are 16x DVD-R media of higher quality than 8x?

TY puts out "value" DVD-R's. What's up with that? I'm going to avoid them anyway.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
Re: media: speed rating's impact on reliability
on Oct 8, 2006 at 5:04:31 pm

TY "value" are tested to be reliable up to 8x, with their rigorous testing methods. Taiyo Yuden are the best for me. Never had problems, never. And I write my DVDs at 8x w/o a hitch, but I never burn a DVD-Video for replication, it's always DDP on DVD-R (or DLT). The burner's quality has effect too. For my experience, Plextor, Nec and Pioneer have the most reliable results, but you can consult benchmarks too. Burning at 16x is not an option for professional work, 8x not higher (Well, for TY).

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 8, 2006 at 5:51:15 pm

Thanks, Pierre-Luc.

I'll burn at no faster than 8x, but as far as the media itself, is the 16x rated media a higher quality level than the 8x rated media?

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
on Oct 8, 2006 at 11:45:54 pm

No. That's only about the speed rate, and burning at higher speeds will give you more errors, even if these errors don't really effect the playability. You could see these errors with a analyzing tool like EclipseImage Analysis (Which replication plants use).

Return to posts index

PaulD
on Oct 9, 2006 at 12:45:57 pm

Hi
My information is that at 6x burning or less (-1x) there is a continuous burn to DVD-R.
At 8x or faster there is a 'gear change' moment when the rotational speed changes and the burning laser has to be recalibrated.
Which is 'a bad thing' for un error-checked video...
Something like that ;)

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 9, 2006 at 12:58:59 pm

That's interesting about the "gear change."

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but my original question was about media, not the actual burning speed.

The question is: If a DVD-R is rated for 16x does that mean it is of higher quality, even for a 4x burn, than media rated 8x?

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
on Oct 9, 2006 at 1:29:47 pm

That's a great information Paul. Have you a link about that or where did you find it ?

Return to posts index

PaulD
on Oct 11, 2006 at 9:57:31 am

[Pierre-Luc] " where did you find it ?"
Hi
This is one of a (well respected) blank media supplier's comments on the subject to the DVDoctor form:
http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=268286&postcount=10

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 9, 2006 at 4:58:09 pm

[PaulD] "At 8x or faster there is a 'gear change' moment when the rotational speed changes and the burning laser has to be recalibrated."

Sounds logical, as I hear the burner in my G5 changing RPM at various stages durning the burn process. FWIW, I'm in the same camp as Pierre-Luc: I use Yaiyo Yuden @ 8x all the time and have never made a coaster.......yet.

BTW, happy thanksgiving, Pierre-Luc.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
on Oct 9, 2006 at 11:30:43 pm

Thanks Don, happy thanksgiving to you too. Out of subject, but what does mean "FWIW" ? (My english is not perfect yet) :o)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 10, 2006 at 6:11:36 am

[Pierre-Luc] "Out of subject, but what does mean "FWIW" ?"

FWIW = for what it's worth :)

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

riredale
on Oct 18, 2006 at 6:04:27 am

If you're curious about DVD burn quality, just download a tool such as the free Nero DVD/CD Speed. This program analyzes the information on a DVD and can show the error rate at different places on the disk.

Keep in mind that every DVD throws out lots of errors, just because of the nature of the process. Correspondingly, the DVD standard includes a remarkable degree of error-correction on multiple levels, so that even a disk with many errors will deliver a perfectly accurate final result. With the Nero tool you can see for yourself just how many errors there are. I agree that Taio Yuden disks are about as good as DVD-R gets.

BTW I always record at 8x. There's nothing to be gained by recording slower, and you lose time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]