FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD authoring 'Quick authoring'

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
picker999
DVD authoring 'Quick authoring'
on Oct 8, 2006 at 2:15:54 am

Can one "author a DVD using an AVI file on the DVD?
I work as a videographer at a race track. I would like to be able to have a generic setup so I could put the"Post Parade-Race-Winner's Circle-Payout Prices - Company Logo all in a standard form that would allow me to Author quickly from captured files in .avi format so that the files would take up most of the space of the DVD. Typical race cycle lasts 4 to 4.5 minutes. I would like the picture to be the highest quality possible.

I would like to be able to
1 have a "quick authoring" tool.
2 Open and close Disc to add more race cycles.

Return to posts index

picker999
Re: DVD authoring 'Quick authoring'
on Oct 10, 2006 at 3:15:52 am

So it looks like maybe my request is asking far too much.
I know that reading an .avi off a DVD does not work well.

Return to posts index

Roman Flute
on Oct 10, 2006 at 6:02:43 am

You are going to have to encode your AVIs to MPEG2 for the authoring process. How is your video coming in? For speed - and depending upon your setup - the faster you can get your encode in - the better - so a card might be good. Also - what is your platform? Then of course - what is your budget! It all goes to : fast vs quality vs cost. You can have 2. So fast and quality mean expensive and fast and cheap mean lesser quality. If you have AVI - I am assuming you are going to be PC. Digital Rapids makes some nice cards on the PC side and use something like Encore. If you just want to throw some files on there and burn - that might be an option...

RF

Return to posts index

picker999
on Oct 10, 2006 at 4:24:22 pm

I am using ATI product. I have several capture cards.
So if I capture using Mpeg 2 then I will cut the encoding time?
I also was a generic menu that shows up the files if they exist otherwise that menu item does not show up.
I do have some C++ programming skills and the digital rapids card is intreging but I am also in a hurry.
Any idea on the cost of a Digital Rapids card???

Return to posts index

Roman Flute
on Oct 12, 2006 at 12:21:50 am

They are kinda expensive - I know they have several flavors. But who are you getting the video in? Those cards would let you do component video, composite video and/or SDI. You could encode straight from the video source- you current card might be able to do it - coming in s-video or something. There are a lot of these cards out there. I just know these work real well and are very simple.

In all honesty - the progamming for what you want to do would be minimal. Most likely the whole thing would be easy to layout in something like encore or something.

Go to adobe - and you can download a working trial. Just depends one how much fire power and what type of budget you have... But being able to hardware encode will be the fastest way to speed up your process.

Roman

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Oct 15, 2006 at 3:15:05 pm

*But being able to hardware encode will be the fastest way to speed up your process*

intel's xeon 3.06 x2 CPU, HT enabled
windows 2003 server
CCE encoding is 3xReal-Time from uncompressed .mov 720x576x25

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]