FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Blu-Ray burner works beautifully...

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tip McPartland
Sony Blu-Ray burner works beautifully...
on Oct 1, 2006 at 7:41:35 pm

Installed the Sony Blu-Ray burner in my Quad Opteron PC and was immediately able to burn a short hi def movie to it that was created in Premiere Pro 2.0 using the Cineform Aspect HD intermediate codec. Plus I was able to erase and re-record different version several times. The material was from the JVC HD100 and I burned 1080i and 720p versions successfully. Don't yet have a 1080P source, with and XDCAM HD (350) coming, I will soon.

I used the Cineform MPEG2 codec, but there are several other ways to go, and I still face some unknowns with using the 35 Mb/sec data stream, but now I know that my worst case scenario of using the 25 Mb/sec mode.

The picture quality of the "native" 720P using the Cineform .m2t was to my eye exactly as good as playing the Cineform Aspect HD timeline, which in turn is "visually lossless" as they say in comparison to the HD100 original tape. So this is visually lossless from original tape through editing through burning. If there's a difference, and I'm sure there is if you ran a difference matte, it will take Adam Wilt to quantify it.

Stunning picture, great sound too. Plus the bundled software is super easy to use and outputs both to a window on the PC monitor AND via HD component to my external HD video monitor using the Matrox Parhelia. I could not be more thrilled if my first born son won a Nobel prize at age ten.

Tip McPartland

Return to posts index

Andrius S
Re: Sony Blu-Ray burner works beautifully...
on Oct 2, 2006 at 10:54:44 pm

Have you played it back on one of the set top BD players?
Just wondering about compatability and playback quality there.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Oct 2, 2006 at 11:59:05 pm

Do you work for Sony? ;)

Did you play your disc on a set top player? If so, which one?

Jim

Return to posts index

Tip McPartland
on Oct 3, 2006 at 8:55:10 pm

No, played it back on the internal computer drive (burner) but it went out to the HD-TV I use as a monitor. I don't have a Samsung player, and probably won't get one of those. I'll hold out for the PS3 unless something irresistable comes out sooner.

Do I work for Sony? No, I'm just prone to gushing enthusiasm! But only for something really cool which this is. Those more versed in real authoring may find limitations in the bundled software because is seems very simplistic, but for me that's just what the doctor ordered.

I have the Toshiba HD-DVD player which feeds a Westy 42" 1920x1080 LCD. It is so good that I held out for some time for an HD-DVD burner, but for some reason none seems to be on the horizon. Meanwhile, my strategy is to create content for the BD players in the millions of Play Station 3 consoles that will be hitting the shelves in November... or whenever!

Tip

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Oct 7, 2006 at 12:10:48 pm

Apple's DVDSP creates HD-DVD content that with a Mac mini hooked up to a HD screen you can watch HD content in just the same way, with some pretty sophisticated, high resoltuion menu templates.

For one's own personal use, I think either of these options allows one to watch their own hi-def content before the burners arrive to market. With that said, I think there are still going to be a few bugs that need to be ironed out before any of these solutions allow the 'minion' to get their HD content to optical media for distribution.

I agree that the HD content can be quite stunning. I have made several HD-DVD's on standard def recordable media that the video will play back on my HD Toshiba. The problem as you noted is the lack of HD-DVD burners until next year. In the mean time, other business models might crop up that leap frogs optical media and allows viewers to download to hard drive and watch from there--much like one watching their own HD content on a hard drive hooked up to their system.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]