FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change audio of a finished DVD (.vob-files)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cletus
Change audio of a finished DVD (.vob-files)
on Sep 22, 2006 at 12:53:59 pm

Hi Guys

I have one very important question.
I got a movie on DVD I made myself when I was in school some years ago. Its a 40-minutes movie about a novel.
I only got it on DVD now and copied the vob files on the HD.
Beacuse of a presentation of the movie I have to change the sound at some parts beacuse I didn't had any microphones when shooting and you hardly cant hear the voices. We want to re-synchronise this parts now and just lay over the new voices over the video. I now this is amateurish but it doesnt have to be perfect just presentable in some kind of way.

Is there any way I can change/manipulate the sound of the movie WITHOUT altering the video/image-quality??
If so, how? Which program do I need? How can I do it without changing the quality?

And IF it is possible, can I also change or add video? (There is one scene where a guy gets shot and I want to add blood to it using tracking in After Effects)

I hope you can help me!

Thank you

Cletus

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
Re: Change audio of a finished DVD (.vob-files)
on Sep 22, 2006 at 3:15:39 pm

Mac or PC ? You can demux the VOB files to .m2v and .ac3 (or .aif, .wav, the format it was originally encoded to), sync your new audio file with the encoded one and re-mux with ffmpegX (Mac). Beware of any commands you could have inserted in this VOB, they will be lost. Softwares like DVDAfterEdit allows you to red-add them. Maybe there's a simple way to do this, I'm not so familiar with re-muxing.

Hope that helps.

Don't fear the tiger, the Cow is near!

Studio Plasma
Mastering & DVD
Montreal (QC) Canada
http://www.studioplasma.ca

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Sep 22, 2006 at 6:54:59 pm

Sorry, I forgot, Im working on a Windows System and just have Adobe Encore.
Which programs do I need for this? And what do you mean with commands? The DVD-Menue?

Thanks
Cletus

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Sep 24, 2006 at 10:45:02 pm

Hello anyone?
How can I demux the VOBs?

Can someone help finish this, please?

Thank You
Cletus

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Sep 26, 2006 at 3:09:38 am

You could use MpegStreamClip to convert it to a video file and then edit your heart out

however when you put it back to DVD it will get compressed againand compressing some thing that has already previously been comressed is never a good idea because of quality loss.

as for adding blood unless you are REALY REALY GOOD it is going to look bad, cheezy or both.

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Sep 26, 2006 at 11:40:28 am

But is it possible to edit just the audio and get it back on dvd without loosing video quality?
The blood thingy isnt that important...I just care about the sound.

Thanks

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Sep 26, 2006 at 3:05:51 pm

No You have to pull both off together

Return to posts index

seminewbie
on Sep 27, 2006 at 1:18:46 am

Ok so here's what I do. i have a small program off the web (ReJig) which allows me to demux vob's into m2v's and AC3's (in file mode).
Once i have them I use a utility to change the AC3 file into a wav and play with the wav to my hearts content. As long as you are just cleaning the audio and not changing any timing there are no synch issues. (cut pieces out just leave everything in their proper position before re-inserting the fixed areas) You then create a new project in Encore import the m2v file as a timeline, import the cleaned wav file as an asset and place it below the M2V file in the timeline. Encore will synch to the zero second point. You then retranscode the audio and voila. Same Video,
different audio on different DVD. I can't see a loss in video quality when I do it. The secret is that Encore will accept the file and bring it in as something which carries the tag "Don't Transcode" as the M2V file is already compatible with DVD production. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Sep 27, 2006 at 11:23:14 am

THATs what I wanted to hear and know!
Thank you VERY much, all of you, I learned something finally. And sorry for the caps... :)

Cletus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]