FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD on DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robert paynter
HD on DVD
on Sep 19, 2006 at 9:32:49 pm

I am not a DVD author but i have been asked to burn a 1-2 minute looping HD rendered file (rendered from AE) to play on a DVD.
The studio I am working for owns DVD studio Pro 3 for Mac. I have suspicion that this won't work... I really need someone to explain some options to me .. a few specific questions: what is the highest res that DVD studio pro 3 can create? actually ....anything you can tell me would be very helpful

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HD on DVD
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:28:22 am

Cannot be done in 3 you'd need DVDSP 4.

Noah

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Sep 20, 2006 at 4:51:41 am

Yes you need DVD SP 4 to make a HD DVD, but the question is what is do you plan on playing the DVD on, if it is just a reguler DVD player you will have to downconvert the HD to SD and then make a reguler DVD. If you want it in HD you will have to play it from a the Mac Computer, I have heard that the Tosheba HD DVD player might play it but cant say for shure

Return to posts index

George W.
on Sep 20, 2006 at 8:39:40 am

On the PC, folks have been doing this for several months using Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 5.0 (~$50). They create the HD-DVD, and burn to regular DVD5 discs. The Toshiba HD-DVD Player will recognize and play it as HD-DVD.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

odetoacow
on Sep 20, 2006 at 4:50:02 pm

A proven method we use is to create a Windows Media HD (WMV HD) that will play back on any PC with Windows Media Player 10 (and enough power to play HD video.) The effectinve resolution is 1440 X 1080p (HDCAM.) It's not a DVD-Video or HD DVD per se, but can be delivered on DVD-ROM.

Return to posts index

Frazier Nivens
on Dec 10, 2006 at 2:55:36 am

Be careful if you get the Toshiba HD-A1 High Definition DVD player.

I just bought the Toshiba thinking it would only play back the video of the HD DVD authored in DVD SP, no audio. When I called Toshiba they said that there had been "Issues" with playback on the HD DVD disc's authored. They told me to UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE. I did what they suggested and now neither works.

IF YOU OWN ONE OF THESE DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL CAUSE YOUR DVD TO NOT EVEN PLAY BACK ANY VIDEO OR AUDIO AND IT WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE HD DVD'S AT ALL.

I then called Toshiba again and they told me they didn't guarantee it to work with anything other than store purchased HD Discs and that if one of those played then the player was fine and there was NO PROBLEM.

THE TECH GUYS SAYS IF IT PLAYS BACK THOSE HD DVD'S THEN THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE UNIT AND THEY WOULD NOT FIX IT. Basically I bought this just to play back my HD burned DVD's at the highest quality. But the unit doesn't work for that at all.

Another of my clients bought one thinking it would work and it doesn't either. I was able to warn the about not doing the upgrade suggested by Toshiba. They still don't have it right.

And it only cost me $500, I wish I'd never purchased it.

Frazier Nivens
Ocean Imaging Videography
Key Largo, Florida

Frazier Nivens
Ocean Imaging Videography
Key Largo, Florida

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]