FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need help with a peculiar menu design layout

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FischTale
I need help with a peculiar menu design layout
on Sep 19, 2006 at 5:44:53 pm

I'm currently working on a DVD that will be accompanied by a book in the final packaging.
There may be cases where people will get a DVD but not the book, so the client would like to put the pages of the book onto the DVD as menus that users can click through and read. That's easy enough to do.

Here's the problem...

The book is a coffee table style book with pages that measure about 5.5 inches wide and 7.75 inches tall at 300 dpi (1613 X 2325 pixels). Some pages have very few words and lots of pictures, and some pages have a lot of text. The pages are meant to be viewed two at a time, meaning that usually something on the left page refrences something on the right page.

If I simply take two pages and shrink them down to fit a 720X480 box, the type is too small to read. The most obvious solution is to re-format every page to fit the new display style. That will also be the most time-consuming solution and could be pretty tough to accomplish on pages with a lot of content.

I wanted to see if any of you have ever done something like this, and if you had any creative ideas on how to make this work.

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Jeff Howard
Re: I need help with a peculiar menu design layout
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:36:02 pm

perhaps a pdf version of the book as ROM content, and save hours/weeks/eons reformatting the book into menus? Make 1 menu that refers to the pdf, eg. "Load this disc onto your pc's dvd player..." so folks know it's there.

Return to posts index

fischtale
on Sep 21, 2006 at 5:25:41 am

That's a good idea. I've done DVD-ROM stuff in the past with great success. I don't know why I didn't think of it for this application. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeff Howard
on Sep 21, 2006 at 2:54:32 pm

[fischtale] "I don't know why I didn't think of it for this application."

Probably for the same reasons we all still bust a cookie over a project until someone goes "whatif?"

I hope your client goes for it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]