FORUMS: list search recent posts

Taiyo Yuden Glossy with watershield personal review

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pabolden
Taiyo Yuden Glossy with watershield personal review
on Sep 19, 2006 at 1:24:08 pm

I received my shipment of TY glossies today and here's my take. Using a r220 printer I duplicated a commercial label and compared the two. Actually the TY/r220 looked better than the original in many respects. The colors were deeper and brighter and the image was just as sharp. Best of all the glossy finish shined like glass...absolutely beautiful! When I asked my wife to compare the two she picked the TY and thought that the original was a stick on label...can you believe it!

Drying time was not instant like some matte discs but not unbearable. Off the printer the finish is somewhat tacky. It didn't smudge but left a fingerprint where touched. Drying time took about a hour after which I was able to handle the disc with no problem. The disc may not be fully dryed from a technical standpoint but at this point I would be able to handle and package it.

Now the smear test. Watershield huh...let's see. First I wet my finger and ran it over the disc. Then I put the disc under running water. In both cases there wasn't any bleeding, smearing, nor smudges. This after one hour drying time.

The discs are a bit pricey at a little under a buck each but with the level of professionalism that they'll bring to my productions makes it well worth it.

Paul Bolden

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
Re: Taiyo Yuden Glossy with watershield personal review
on Sep 19, 2006 at 10:30:55 pm

Paul,
Good to know! Any idea where these can be purchased?

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

pabolden
Re: Taiyo Yuden Glossy with watershield personal review. Here's 3 sources.
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:06:08 am

Aanarav here's 3 sources. I got mine from tapes.com.

Paul Bolden

http://www.tapes.com/product_info.php?cPath=123_125&products_id=1673&osCsid...

http://www.microboards.com/article.php/20060602171834206

http://www.primerastore.com/watershield_inkjet_DVDs

Return to posts index

Arlen Bell
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:18:25 am

I also just received my glossy DVD's from Tapes.com. The only thing that I would add to the previous review is the "printing instructions" which came with my order states:
"There is a special treatiment around the outer edge of the label side and the edge (117.5 - 120.0 mm) is not printable. Therefore, the recommended printing area is 25-116.5 mm."
This may or may not be an issue depending upon label design, but be prepared to see a white "ring" if you are printing a dark "full face" label.

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Sep 20, 2006 at 3:23:40 am

Thanks a lot! I placed an order for 50. Hopefully, I will be able to test a few soon.

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Oct 5, 2006 at 2:19:54 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the info. I have a Bravo DVD duplicator that stacks the DVDs as they are finished, so do you think the tackyness (is that even a word?) of the printed discs will propose a problem as they are stacked up in the Bravos bins?

Thanks,

Lee

Return to posts index

pabolden
on Oct 11, 2006 at 1:58:01 am

Hello Lee,

Yes, I believe that the tackiness will definately be a problem. There is a high probability that the discs will stick together if stacked before the needed drying time.

Paul

Return to posts index

Arlen Bell
on Oct 11, 2006 at 1:47:07 pm

I'm not certain the "tackiness" translates to "transfer" though I have not rubbed the surface as a test (because I don't want to unnecessarily damage a good disc). That being said, it would suggest you try mounting a small hair dryer so that it blows across the surface of the disc as either the drawer open -- or the disc is dropped on the stack. )I have a compact low wattage blower that was originally part of a styling comb set that I've used for similar work where I needed to just move a little warm air to quickly dry a surface I was working on.

Return to posts index

Travis Miller
on Oct 19, 2006 at 8:35:40 pm

This thread prompted me to order an Epson R260 printer and 50 Taiyo Yuden discs. I'm impressed so far. These discs really do look nice. It'll be interesting to see how many I can print before I have to refill the ink. The 24 hour drying time (per the printer) kind of sucks, but other than that I'm happy.

They REALLY are glossy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]