FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do CSS and Ripguard conflict?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alison
Do CSS and Ripguard conflict?
on Sep 15, 2006 at 7:07:48 am

I've just sent a master with CSS to the replicator. The producer tells me she's asked them to add Ripguard. Is there a possibility of a conflict between these copy protection schemes?

Yes, I know you can defeat both of them.

Alison

Stable Recordings
Scotland

**better a has-been than a never-was**

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
Re: Do CSS and Ripguard conflict?
on Sep 15, 2006 at 8:15:22 am

You're good, Alison,

RipGuard is designed to protect the CSS encryption. No CSS, no need for RipGuard, in other words.

Take care,

Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com

Return to posts index

Alison
on Sep 15, 2006 at 8:48:50 am

Thanks Trai. Just what I needed to know.

Alison

Stable Recordings
Scotland

**better a has-been than a never-was**

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 15, 2006 at 3:13:14 pm

Trai- is it possible to put CSS, Macrovision and Ripguard onto one disc or is one or the others more effective?

Noah

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
on Sep 15, 2006 at 5:44:10 pm

Hi Noah,

Yes, you can put those three schemes onto the same disc. Each are designed to plug a different 'hole', and they don't conflict. Macrovision requires the same 2054 byte sector sizes as CSS formatting does, so usually CSS and Macrovision go together when analog protection is implemented.

I remain neutral on the issue of copy protection. If the client wants it, that's their prerogative and you won't hear a peep out of me (the folks who are going to rip and copy will do so easily, no matter what our thoughts are on the matter :-)

Though, I might let out that there's no way I'd put Macrovision on any DVD; I've seen too many TV's undulate bright and dark while running a DVD with it!

Take care,

Trai

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 16, 2006 at 4:50:10 am

Cool- I hear you on Macrovision. Maybe I'll just go with CSS and Ripguard. Not too worried about the hard core rippers just casual copiers who should know better.

Noah

Return to posts index

dgoodbourn
on Sep 20, 2006 at 10:26:50 am

Hi Alison,

Just a note of caution, you might want to get the manual for Ripguard as you have to adhear to a few small guidlines. Nothing to worry about if the DVD is pretty standard (as in a feature, with some menus) but if the DVD is a complicated iDVD or the likes, Ripguard can become more visual, as they use a lot of dummy black cells in titles.

Cheers,
Dave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]