FORUMS: list search recent posts

poor video quality - anti-aliasing and stair steping

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hovenweep
poor video quality - anti-aliasing and stair steping
on Sep 14, 2006 at 5:41:21 pm

I am trying to put a demoreel DVD together using Studio Pro4.
I am admittidly very new to this.

In short, I have a Quicktime video that looks great. When I burn the DVD the quality really falls apart.
We use mostly graphical elements - a lot of vector based work, and the clean lines become very jagged.
And it's not just a nitpicky little detail thing .

I've tried everything I can think of, including exporting from final cut stiright to Mpeg2 , bought the new version of Studio Pro, changed the settings for compression quality out of studio pro and all to no avail.
Anybody have any ideas about how I might go about solving this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(demoreel compressed for web can be viewed at http://www.lumeneclipse.com - is it that the source video just isn't DVD friendly?)

Thanks.
Ryan

Ryan Hovenweep
lumeneclipse.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: poor video quality - anti-aliasing and stair steping
on Sep 14, 2006 at 6:40:06 pm

You didn't mention what timeline codec you're using in FCP but if your work is mostly graphics you need to use a lossless codec like 8 or 10 bit uncompressed, Motion JPEG or Animation codec so your graphics don't take a quality hit when you export for Compressor and eventually DVDSP. You should do a test with some of the above codecs and see which one will work and look best for your particular workflow.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 15, 2006 at 3:21:41 pm

Also whether you're viewing on a TV or on your desktop. If the latter, make sure to select Deinterlacing in the DVD player software.

Noah

Return to posts index

Hovenweep
on Sep 20, 2006 at 8:21:53 pm

Does the deinterlacing happen when I output the video for QuickTime
or is it a setting after the DVD is already authored?

Thanks for the feedback. Still trying trying to figure it out.

Ryan Hovenweep
lumeneclipse.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]