FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD with both 16:9 and 4:3 LB assets?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cbrougham
DVD with both 16:9 and 4:3 LB assets?
on Sep 13, 2006 at 1:28:13 pm

I'm working on an informational DVD project for one of my clients that I'm wrapping post on and getting ready to send off to replication. It's the first project that I've shot and posted in anamorphic widescreen (we shot 16:9 DV with the HVX200), and I'd like to keep that aspect ratio on the DVD. The easiest thing to do would be just to encode my MPEG with the 16:9 flag on, and then let individual viewers' DVD players handle the conversion on playback--either nothing for those with widescreen TVs or letterboxing for 4:3 TVs. However, this is entirely predicated on the assumption that the viewers have their DVD players properly configured based on whatever TV aspect ratio they have.

What I'm wondering is if I should just assume that this will work out all right with just the 16:9 assets on the disc, or if I should also create a letterboxed 4:3 version, and then provide a menu by which the viewer can select either the anamorphic widescreen version or the letterboxed version. Normally, I like options, but I can't see an easy resolution to either situation here. Any input?

Thank you...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD with both 16:9 and 4:3 LB assets?
on Sep 13, 2006 at 6:57:25 pm

It will all work out right. If the users know nothing about 16:9- all DVD players will default to 4:3 letterbox. If they know how to setup right they'll be able to see native 16:9. Don't bother with a 4:3 letterboxed version- totally unnecessary on DVD.

Noah

Return to posts index

cbrougham
Re: DVD with both 16:9 and 4:3 LB assets?
on Sep 13, 2006 at 7:33:28 pm

Excellent logic. Thanks for the advice--it certainly makes the authoring much easier.

Colin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]