FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating subtitle TIFFs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benn Gunn
Creating subtitle TIFFs
on Sep 5, 2006 at 7:37:15 pm

I'm authoring a project which requires a few subtitle tiffs to be displayed one piece of video. I'm fine creating a script for Scenarist to import all my tiffs, but I'm having trouble creating the tiffs themselves.

I know I need to get the text to have the appropriate indexed colours so Scenarost can map to them. I tried using the method we use for creating highlight tiffs for menus 9converting a tiff to indexed colours, assinging the four colours for the highlight to use and converting back to RGB), but that gave me a really indistinct subtitle when displyed.

Is there a particular font that I could use to optimise the above method? Or should I be doing it an enitrely different way? Obviously getting them done by a subtitling supplier would be easiest, but I wanna know how to do this myself for small projects of this kind.

Any help much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Re: Creating subtitle TIFFs
on Sep 8, 2006 at 12:35:56 pm

What i do is render them in my own render engine to 24 bit, but if you can script Photoshop you'll be fine too.
Here is the trick:
Create the titles (in RGB) on a pure white BG, with 168, 168, 168 grey font and add a pure black border.
If you must, scale them to the desired output resolution.
Next, apply the DVD Subpicture plugin from Chris Linke.
It will map the colors to pure colors, giving you one color for anti-aliasing between the border and the text. Map the colors in your DVD authoring application where you set the anti-aliasing to grey 100%, and you have the best possible titles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved