FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authoring DVDs for standalone and computer-playback

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
karim
Authoring DVDs for standalone and computer-playback
on Aug 24, 2006 at 11:36:26 am

Hi,

Since a lot of people here author DVDs professionally I wonder how you handle the quality-subject with your customers. Generally I wonder about the differences between standalone players on one hand hand on Computers or Laptops. Different monitors and especially different DVD Software players seem to have a major influence on the quality beside the qualityloss from scaling PAL or NTSC up to computer monitor resolutions anyway.

I already had 2 customers complaining abouth the quality (always on computer-playback!). Standalone-Playback is fine, but computer-playback gives some real bad results with DVD-SP authored DVDs.

I tried tweaking some of the settings in DVD-SP and checking colorlevels/optimizing my menu graphics in Photoshop... which made it a little better. Now one computer gives OK results in fullscreen-mode, the other one blurs like **** and the third one even gives unbelievalble pixelation in some parts of the picture (seems to dislike the colour red... and its not even a full tone!).

Now with these results, how do you handle complaints of customers who get real bad results on their hard/software??
And generally when authoring DVDs, which is more important for you ... standalone-playback or Computer/Laptop-Playback. This issue seems also pretty important for designing the menus, so I wondered why I rarely read about the problem?!
Am I still forgetting on something which turns down my quality?

Karim

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Authoring DVDs for standalone and computer-playback
on Aug 24, 2006 at 9:15:32 pm

If you know it's for computer only-experiment with the deinterlace filter in FCP or whatever NLE you use.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]