FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD's not playing...suggested VBR and Bit Rates

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
micah ginn
DVD's not playing...suggested VBR and Bit Rates
on Jul 26, 2006 at 1:27:00 am

I use DVD StudioPro...can anyone recommend settings for VBR passes, and target/max bit rates that will play on old and new DVD players? I am tired of people saying they can't play my DVDs.

I use a Two Pass VBR, Best setting, with a target bit rate of 6.8 and a max of 7.2. That was recommended to me by a friend that said he found that maximized quality while minimized the non-playability for older DVD players, yet I just recently had one not work for a lady.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

eric
Re: DVD's not playing...suggested VBR and Bit Rates
by
on Jul 26, 2006 at 2:24:05 am

It all depends on how much video you have. For me, anything under 90 mins, I use CBR ALWAYS.

Also always use AC3 audio. It takes up less bandwidth.

Return to posts index

seminewbie
Re: DVD's not playing...suggested VBR and Bit Rates
on Aug 25, 2006 at 7:40:13 pm

Try a 5.5 VBR (Max 6 Min 4.5). The easiest way to figure out if you are right, without doing a lot of math, is to look at how much of the DVD you are filling with your setting. When I first started authoring I would go for high quality settings and was always having problems because some of the crappy players out there (and even some of the good ones) couldn't handle the rate. I use Encore and it has a nice graphic to show you how much of the DVD you will be filling with your rate. To make it short if you have a 30 minute video you should aim to be filling about 1/4 of a 2 hour dvd. Any more and you are looking for trouble.....any less and you might be sick looking at the quality. P.S...to anyone who has more experience than me I know there are many variables to encoding and that limits can be pushed but this basic calculation seems to work for me.
Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]