FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor is Slow

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff
Compressor is Slow
by
on Jul 21, 2006 at 12:58:52 pm

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong to make Compressor 2.0.1 take 2.5 hours to compress an 11 minute sequence for DVD? When I get to the full 2 hour film this is going to be a mess. Here are the specs:

1280 X 720 DVCProHD Varicam footage output as Quicktime at full resolution from Final Cut
11 minutes in length
Compressor 2.0.1
Using the video setting: DVD Best Quality 90 mins 16:9 MPEG-2 6.2Mbps 2-pass 16:9
Using the audio setting: AAC 128 kbps
OSX 10.4.6
5.5 GB Ram

Am I missing something or is this standard. Or is there a better way to do this? How do the rest of you make DVD's of long format projects?

Thanks.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Compressor is Slow
on Jul 21, 2006 at 2:11:35 pm

I'd convert to Standard Def in FCP first. Compressor is incredibly slow on downconverts. Drop the HD footage into a 16:9 anamorphic NTSC sequence with the 8-bit uncompressed codec and export. Then drop into Compressor. Also depends on your processor speed. If you have above a DP 2 Ghz G5 you should be ok.

Noah

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Jul 21, 2006 at 7:42:33 pm

It does make sense that Compressor is having a tough time with the HD footage.

Downconverting in FinalCut is a good idea, but just taking the time (and disk space) to render the new SD sequence makes it less than ideal too. Looks like we're going to get around this problem with either a real time DVD recorder deck or old fashioned VHS's for client review. Anything else takes away too much editing time.

Thanks much for the response.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 24, 2006 at 6:40:03 pm

Or have a second machine just for DVDs. It's the only way I ever get things done.

Noah

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 25, 2006 at 6:49:36 am

Jeff,

If you crossgarde to FCP 5.1 and then install the 5.1.1 update that will help. Lost of things in Compressor have been fixed.

DRW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]