Overscan lines and Encoding using Apple Compressor

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick
Overscan lines and Encoding using Apple Compressor
by
on Jul 9, 2006 at 12:54:58 am

Hi,

My 35mm transferred to a 16:9 QT file has some noise running down the left side (maybe part of the audio track or something) -- it only appears on the monitor, but not on the TV. Also, I've been reading on the net about "overscan lines" - apparently there's one at the very bottom of the frame, which I'm supposed to crop before encoding.

Should I somehow be cropping these areas (on the sides and the bottom) before encoding to increase the effectiveness of the encode? If I am, what do I keep in mind given I'm working with 16:9 video?

I'm encoding using Apple's Compressor -- setting a bunch of compression markers in FCP to ensure the encode is effective -- and I'm happy with the results so far. Just wanting to see if I working on dealing with the overscan areas will get me more efficiencies.

Any ideas/thoughts on what to do about the overscan lines for encoding?

Thanks,
Nikhil
http://www.indiancowboy.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Overscan lines and Encoding using Apple Compressor
on Jul 9, 2006 at 1:58:21 am

I would not crop because you'll be decreasing quality. But if you want to matte in a border on the sides to cover the area that would preserve the quality while covering up the junk just in case someone is watching on a computer rather than their computer.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]