Subtitles and Inverse Telecine

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick
Subtitles and Inverse Telecine
by
on Jul 4, 2006 at 11:17:12 pm

Hi,

I have a 35mm film telecined to digibeta with non-drop timecode. I recently got this captured as a uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2 quicktime file. Since I have three language subtitles, my plan was to do the following.

1. Use the QT file with the NDF timecode to time the subtitles and create RTF files with the text and timecode in them for later import by DVD Studio Pro.

2. Encode the quicktime file as a MPEG 2 (with inverse telecine so I'm working at a 23.98 FPS) and the audio tracks as Dolby AC-3.

3. Import the MPEG2 asset and the subtitle file into DVD Studio Pro

I'm unsure of what would happen with the timecode, and the audio sync and subtitle placement, given the inverse telecine.

Could someone shed some light on what an ideal workflow is here, and why?

I understand the DVD player will do an insertion of extra frames on the fly, but would appreciate any insight, or ideal workflows, given my scenario above.

On a related note: since I unfortunately upgraded cinema tools to v 3.0.3, I can no longer perform inverse telecine on this 128GB file - it keeps complaining the file size is too large. Is there a fix for this from Apple?

Thanks,
Nikhil
http://www.IndianCowboy.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Subtitles and Inverse Telecine
on Jul 4, 2006 at 11:32:16 pm

that workflow sounds ok. I'd suggest a test with the first few subtitles to be sure as they are tricky.

Noah

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jul 5, 2006 at 2:41:18 am

Which encoder are you using? An IVT pass is only neccessary to save space on redundant frames and only available to high end encoders - it won't make the picture any better looking if that's what your thinking :) Your QT with the 3:2 will be just fine - just let the encoder know its NDFTC. Then make those subtitles file conform to NDFTC.

Return to posts index

Nick
by
on Jul 9, 2006 at 12:48:18 am

Thanks for the feedback! The workflow seems to be working well - the audio seems out of sync by a couple of frames and I'm working to figure out if that's just my imagination, or if i need to adjust it.

I'm doing the IVT using Cinema tools, to save space as well as work with a progressive image as I'm adding a few FX using Saaphire Fx in 24P (23.98) and then doing the encode. Its working well so far...

Return to posts index

bouke
on Sep 2, 2006 at 8:49:49 pm

Nick,
I've just done almost the same, except that i'm in PAL...
What i've found on 24 P on DVD is that it does not make interlaced "in between" frames, it just doubles a P frame every 8 frames....
So only if you got a long movie (over 90 minutes) it's worth while to reverse telecine...

Reason i'm chiming in is that i've written a nice tool to do subtitles, and you might benefit from it.
Drop me a line (bouke@editb.nl) if you want to toy with it.

Bouke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]