FORUMS: list search recent posts

A good DVD authoring solution?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rizzer
A good DVD authoring solution?
on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:16:14 pm

Hello,

I need a new solution. I like DVD Studio Pros usability and great aesthetic performance - but I get way too many "returned" DVDs. Every one of my Mac friends gets the same results - 1 in 5 DVDs are no good (I personally have burned over 2000 discs of various projects on my Mac). Some of them use iDVD and we all have internal Mac certified drives.

I also run PCs and really like the stability of Encore's DVDs (i have had one bad disc out of 950 that I have burned), but the text and button control is very very weak. Text is always aliased and button highlighting is horrible. I always make extremely simple menus so they look clean.

Anyway with that said, I would like opinions on other DVD authoring solutions. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: A good DVD authoring solution?
on Jun 28, 2006 at 7:10:36 pm

Disc failure has a lot less to do with the authoring app and most everything to do with the physical stuff media quality, burn speed, etc. It's a lot more likely your failure discs are due to the recorder, the discs you're using or the speed you're burning at.

Noah

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jun 28, 2006 at 7:21:32 pm

Or even your bitrates and the kind of audio your using?

Return to posts index

Rizzer
on Jun 28, 2006 at 8:26:23 pm

Hi guys - thanks for your respones~

Yes, I have taken those facts into consideration. I have been using Taiko Yuden media, keeping my bit rate to an averag of 5.5 to 6, and burning at the fastest speed possible. The latter my be a possible answer because my PC burner is 16x and my super drive can do only 4x (older G4). But still I find it coincidentally funny that everyone of my four close Mac editor buds have a much higher failure rate than my PC buds - including myself since I run both platforms.

Anyway - my original question - any other apps besides these that people like? I am just so busy that I don't want to waste time on trying out demos if other users can give me a review of whether it is worth checking out or to avoid completely.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jun 28, 2006 at 8:51:05 pm

You could try DVD-Lab Pro

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html

Not sure what else to say. I can say I've been using DVDSP for several years now and if I had 1 of 5 DVDs returned I'd been out of business long ago :)

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
on Jun 28, 2006 at 9:28:12 pm

For speed question, you shouldn't exceed 8x although Taiyo Yuden have been strongly tested for higher speed.

As eric mentioned, you could use DVD-Lab Pro. Its well designed and offers a lot of pro features and functions that others like DVDSP and Encore don't, and its just 199$. DVDit 6 Pro is great on PC, with little less features. These softwares are affordable, if you want more, there is expensive Sonic Scenarist or you could buy a used Sonic Fusion system (Mac OS9). I use Fusion and it works really great, one feature I love is the Verify tool that tells you if something does not meet the DVD specifications in your project.

Don't fear the tiger, the Cow is near!

Return to posts index

Rizzer
on Jun 28, 2006 at 9:33:16 pm

Thanks guys - I know where to focus my search now. Long live the cow!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]