FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need 2 different bitrates or just 1 for the DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Free
Do I need 2 different bitrates or just 1 for the DVD?
on Jun 13, 2006 at 6:35:58 am

Using the VideoHelp Bitrate Calculator for a DVD it's asking the Video length for Hours, Mins and Secs. If I have 2 different video projects in Premiere which will be on the DVD ( 1st video project is the main film and the 2nd video project is an extra clip for the special features portion on the DVD) do I need to add both of them together in terms of Hours, Mins and Secs so I can then input them in to the bitrate calculator to get a bitrate and use that bitrate number to export using the "Adobe MPEG Encoder" for both projects as 1 in Premiere?

Or

Do I not add both projects together to get a total time, but instead have to use each individual video projects total time for the Bitrate Calculator which will then have me use the "Adobe MPEG Encoder twice for each project on Premiere?

Hope this makes sense..

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Do I need 2 different bitrates or just 1 for the DVD?
on Jun 13, 2006 at 12:08:16 pm

Bitrate budgeting is just math- you have 4.2 GB of space on a DVD. If you have one video whose video quality is not as important as another you can reduce its bitrate to give more over to the other one for example.

Noah

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jun 13, 2006 at 1:08:45 pm

You need to give the bitrate calculator the total length of all video that will be on the disc.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 13, 2006 at 3:14:47 pm

But it cannot be used to calculate for videos at different bitrates- do one video at a time if you are trying different bitrates and then add the totals together on a spreadsheet or regular calc.

Noah

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 13, 2006 at 5:18:59 pm

The problem with doing them separately is that the bitrate calculator has no idea about additional videos, so it will give you an optimum bitrate based only on the current video duration (plus audio tracks).

How long are your two video clips? Bitrate might not be an issue if they are short enough. If one is more important than the other, then you can certainly use a higher bitrate on the important clip, and a lower bitrate on the other...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Steven Free
on Jun 13, 2006 at 6:01:16 pm

Thanks guys!! So I will be adding both video clips which the 1st one is 1 hour and 23 minutes and the other video clip is 8 minutes and 14 seconds for a total of 1 hour, 31 minutes and 14 seconds and input that into the bitrate calculator to get a bitrate of 6456 to use to export them out of Premiere using the adobe mpeg encoder.

Since both these video clips are 2 different video projects in Premiere do I use the same bitrate of 6456 for both video projects when exporting?

Just wanna get this clear before I take both projects into DVD Lab.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 13, 2006 at 9:18:48 pm

That is correct. Remember this is simple algebra... Something like 83(minutes)x + 8(minutes)y = 91(minutes)z

Where z = 6456 bitrate. So you can either use 6456 for both x and y or give one or the other more or less bitrate depending on the quality you need.

Noah

Return to posts index

Steven Free
on Jun 15, 2006 at 5:52:30 pm

Thank you all for your help and input.

It's greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]